Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How many of you guys have been 'bit' by the recording bug?

Rod S

One thing I've noticed recently. It seems most keyboard players have been bit by the recording bug (not always a good thing http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif ), but I don't see nearly as many guitar players in this situation.

Part of the it is pretty obvious... for a keyboard player it's easy to start recording. Most people have your basic soundblaster on a PC, or you can even record directly to your home stereo thru the tape inputs. The situation is different for you guys.. you have to mic the amp, need a decent acoustic environment, etc. This situation seems to be reversing somewhat with devices like the pod, the v amp, and so forth. From the outside, this things seem like the 'answer to all the prayers'.... there are obviously limitations, but I think they serve their purpose well.

In seems in general keyboard players also get more involved with the technology aspect of music early on just because of the synthesizers... with a synth you can usually cover more bases... (again, not necessarily a good thing)... although most guitar players I know can play bass decently well, and if you got a drum machine that's a good starting place.

So is my impression correct? Not a lot of guitar DIYers? What's preventing guitarrists from going that way? Is this changing as we speak? Are you guys more interested in playing rather than recording/composing?

I thought about this recently talking to my brother and two of his friends.. recording for them seemed like too far-fetched a possibility. When I asked if they had played with a pod (or similar device) before, they had no idea what I was talking about.

I've finally got the point where I understand the basics of recording, but at the same time I've accepted the limitations of my setup and my experience. At least it's not as much voodoo as it did seem before.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always had some sort of "home studio". Started with a 4-track, then a 8-track, now I have Cakewalk and a digital board.

I LOVE to record! I think you'll find that most of us do.

This message has been edited by Scott from MA on 08-25-2001 at 10:55 PM

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Well, In my case I would LOVE to do more recording, unfortunately directly after I got my hard drive recorder and mics I was forced into a situation with my band that led to my leaving the band. The gentelman in charge of the money was taking far more than his fair share to put it simply. Apparently getting ripped off by ones own bandmate didn't bother the others as much as me. Anyway, because of that now I have the ability to record, but no band.

I am trying to get into the do-it-all-yourself mode that I think a lot of Key players are into, due in large part to their instruments ability to emulate so many different instruments (imo), But I am finding the transition very difficult. I guess I'm just too used to jamming with really good musicians, so when I try and record some drums, or keys, or bass for that matter it never comes out like I want it to. As much as I may try when it comes down to it I'm a guitar player, mainly a funk and blues player, and if what I try and do myself doesn't meet my relatively high standards then you or anyone else are probably not going to hear the results.

I wish I could say things were different, but at this point in time their not. I'm still working on it now and then but truth be told, I just want to play guitar and maybe sing some lines. I don't want to have to come up with the key parts, or the drum parts, or the horn parts. That's what keys, drummers, and horn players are for. So I guess until I hook up with another band I'm just going to be recording ideas, accoustic stuff, and some vocals. Maybe with a little drum machine backing but certainly nothing I would ever release for others to hear. Not without some other good musicians playing on the tracks anyway.

I started on guitar and am quite into recording. Always have been. I was fortunate enough to get some instruction from a guy that runs a 24 track facility to learn a few things. I also got to work at a nearby 24 track studio for a few years back in the 80s to learn more. Got a modest setup at home now that I'm tweaking into shape. No big dreams, I just enjoy putting music together for myself and learning more on how to do so better.

------------------

Visit BooneRock.net - Play the Rustech Blend'r-great amp, great tone!

Thanks for the replys.

I am trying to get into the do-it-all-yourself mode that I think a lot of Key players are into, due in large part to their instruments ability to emulate so many different instruments (imo), But I am finding the transition very difficult. I guess I'm just too used to jamming with really good musicians, so when I try and record some drums, or keys, or bass for that matter it never comes out like I want it to. As much as I may try when it comes down to it I'm a guitar player, mainly a funk and blues player, and if what I try and do myself doesn't meet my relatively high standards then you or anyone else are probably not going to hear the results.

I hear ya... I have to admit I had to 'lower my standards' to be a DIYer.. I've played with some very good drummers, and there's no way in hell my sequencing is ever going to get anywhere close a real drummer. But it's fun as hell. I also miss working with a good guitarrist. Doing guitar parts on a keyboard is plain PATHETIC, and frustrating (as popmusic said) I had to do some 'adjustments' also on my style. I used to like writing stuff with guitarrists.

I guess my question should have been not only do you record, but do you record by yourself. It seems keyboard players have become somewhat isolated somewhat.. hum.. good forum topic for the keyboard forum. Guitarrists are always up for a good jam http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

I've always been into recording too (interned at a 24 track studio in the early 80's myself, and was a staff engineer for a few years). I always saw what I did on guitar going hand in hand with engineering, or creating a sonic landscape, as it were. I think my thinking was kinda like Jimmy Page's in that way - I wanted to use the studio to do different layered guitars and such, as sort of an extension of what can be done with effects. Not to mention I wanted to learn how to record drums well, since you all know how I feel about drums. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif So the recording "bug" has always had me bitten.

A couple of years ago I tried to go for the whole "record everything myself in a home studio" thing. I didn't have a band, so I figured that would have to be the way to go, if I was going to get anything done composition-wise. The thing is though, I found it totally uninspiring to sit in my studio by myself. The fact is that I love to play just as much for the interaction with other people as for the music. The music I love was all created by real human beings playing together in a room and I just didn't feel motivated if I wasn't doing the same. Even had I been able to accomplish more on my own, I only saw it as a means to an end - a way to demo my songs for other musicians that I could potentially play with. I would never have voluntarily chosen to sit around by myself recording, other than after the basic tracks are done. Then I like to sit around trying different takes on guitar parts ad nauseum, and I'm sure other people are grateful they don't have to be around for that. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

You're probably right that there are more keyboard players than guitarists who think they can do it all (and CAN in some fashion), but I personally find it boring to listen to, much less want to do it myself!

--Lee

Know what you mean Lee. I enjoy working with other folks in a band situation or recording situation. I also like doing stuff on my own to. There is definately something that stretches you when you play with other folks. The solitude of recording by myself allows me to make mistakes and learn also. So for me it's like two different ways to do the same thing sort of.

------------------

Visit BooneRock.net - Play the Rustech Blend'r-great amp, great tone!

Hey everybody-

I started recording at pretty much the same time I started gigging for pay-around 1985. Having original material is a big part of that of course, but frankly I feel a bit stuck at the home studio level now. I just don`t consider most of what I`ve heard from that environment to be of release quality, though it can be nice just to listen to. I want to get into a real studio, with a kickass rhythm team, but I just can`t afford it right now. Pisses me off.

After recording two solo guitar CD's on analogue tape, at home, I am now experimenting with hard drive recording. One of my comparison tests is to upload a hard drive recorded song to mp3 and listen to it next to my analogue recordings(which were digitally mastered in a pro studio). So far I have not reached the goal but am I ever learning a lot! In fact, one of the things I am learning is that I may want to either go back to analogue, or go to a real studio, if I want "release quality recordings".

I have always been into recording though, taping short examples for students and as a song writing tool, but for making CD's it's a love/hate thing. I love doing it but hate when I blow an otherwise good take, and I am never happy with the end result but I know that at some pont you have to say "this is what I sound like when I play this piece" and let it go.

Jim in Canada http://www.mp3.com/jimgraham

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

A couple of years ago I tried to go for the whole "record everything myself in a home studio" thing. I didn't have a band, so I figured that would have to be the way to go, if I was going to get anything done composition-wise. The thing is though, I found it totally uninspiring to sit in my studio by myself. The fact is that I love to play just as much for the interaction with other people as for the music.

Lee - Interesting points. For some reason it seems that keyboard players are more prone to 'musical' isolation then guitar players. Most guitar players I know are like you described, they will practice by themsevles but when it gets to playing, they rather jam with people. Maybe I'm putting keyboard players in the same category as electronic musician/composers/producers (a field where the line has somehow being erased). Basically it seems that whole new styles are emerging based on keyboard and synthesizers, and as you said:

You're probably right that there are more keyboard players than guitarists who think they can do it all (and CAN in some fashion), but I personally find it boring to listen to, much less want to do it myself!

I agree. A lot of the stuff is very boring. I have equipment to do it, people have asked me to write in this style, and I just found it uninsiring.

I got out of 2 bands with very good guitarrists, which I always felt like I was 'fighting for space'... I got turned off from music for while, having only 2 years ago really gotten deep into it again. Honestly, I'm enjoying working by myself on this. This may change in the near future, but I like being the boss for the time being. I am however, thinking of looking for possibly a guitarrist to write with.

MBP-LOGIC

OK, I realized I hate you guys (everyone in the MP forums). http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif I was dumb and happy working on my music at home, by myself, and now you guys got me itching about working with other musicians again and possibly playing live http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif But I still am enjoying working by myself.

Originally posted by popmusic:

No, because I'm often inspired by recordings where one person is playing most of the instruments (Les Paul, Stevie Wonder, etc.)... I rarely feel stuck or uninspired when I listen to recordings where other folks have recorded under similar situations (even if I'm not as accomplished of a musician as Les Paul or Stevie Wonder). I make time to jam with other musicians whenever possible... I also go out to live shows whenever I can.

Is it the same though? I agree with you to a certain extent.. but I a way I miss the magic of when you 'lock' musically with other musicians. As if they can guess what you're thinking and what you're next move is.

Lastly, there are often production/musical/technical/philosophical questions that'll pop up while I'm working, and I'll post 'em on these forums to see what other people's experiences have been. So these forums are a bit like having a support group, and it helps me realize I'm not the only one working on something alone in a home studio.

I can't believe how much I've learned here. It's reassuring to see the type of music people are making with 'home studios'. I really had a big eye opener when we started doing the compilation CD at the keyboard corner forum, and checking people's websites. I didn't think there was this much 'good' music at a *amateur* level.

MBP-LOGIC

Archived