Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kick starting creativity

SatoriJoe

Alright, I've only been playing for 8 months but I've hit a plateau already and it's oh so DISAPPOINTING. I can't come up with new ideas on the guitar...I sit and go over my scales, fretboard, chords, different voicings and stuff, learn songs, play with other people, and write my own stuff but it just seems like a dead end.

I've been listening to a vArrrrieTy of music to maybe mess with my head...or hands but it doesn't change the fact that what comes out is generic and what's fun to play doesn't lend itself well to songwriting. I don't want to complain, though, which I AM doing and feel bad coming here and doing this but Tedster complained of a lack of threads so I thought maybe I could start this general topic (which has been asked before many times).

I'm getting my rocks off playing piano for the time being which is lots of fun but there is no way for me to record it or even get people who want to have something to do with "my" piano music. =] My brother broke his cymbal and bass drum or kick(?) drum, whatever its called and kinda stopped playing or even caring about that so there goes my practice partner. School starts in 6 days, senior year.

So, how's everyones else musical life going along? Is it still exciting you? Songs/gigs coming easily to you?

I just turned 18 on August 21 so I got an influx of cash which will lead to some gear...maybe a new amp. And now that I'm 18 I can start the real addiction of musicians...cigarettes http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif.

Joey

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by SatoriJoe:

I can't come up with new ideas on the guitar...I sit and go over my scales, fretboard, chords, different voicings and stuff, learn songs, play with other people, and write my own stuff but it just seems like a dead end.

Here's one of the most TRUE sayings I've ever heard: "You can't do what you've always done and expect to get different results."

We all get into these ruts, and there's no easy solution to the problem. You just gotta try to change your habits a little. Try jamming with some different people, maybe you'll find someone who sparks some new ideas with you.

Hmmm... I guess I don't really have a GOOD answer for you.

And now that I'm 18 I can start the real addiction of musicians...cigarettes

Here's where I definately CAN give you some good advice... DON'T DO IT!!! I was a smoker for over 10 years. At one point, I was smoking 2 to 3 packs a day of Camels. I haven't smoked in 4 years now, and I'm sorry I ever started. Quitting was really difficult, and I wouldn't ever want to go through it again. Also, I am SO much healthier now... I never realized how sick it was making me.

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

First off, if you don't smoke now, skip the cigarettes.

Second, I'd suggest taking some lessons even if only till you break thru the wall.

As stated in another post, I've been teaching myself (mostly) to play 6 string for about three months. After the first month, I hit "the wall" too.

At that point, I went to the local music store and signed up for some lessons. I was only looking for someone to critique what I was doing and provide some direction. The teacher pointed out my strengths and weaknesses, which gave me something to work on. I took lessons for month then went back to my self teaching with a "laundry list" of things to work on. Since I already play bass, relearning scales etc..... was not necessary.

What I found was, after working on some of the weaknesses, it started to open new doors of things to try.

The teacher gladly told me to come back again when I hit the next wall.

That's what works for me. Maybe it'll work for you too!

Heres my advice: Take that money you were going to spend on gear for yourself and replace your brothers kick pedal. Then force him back behind the drums. Why? I think of 2 of the greatest bands/guitar players EVER -- Van Halen and Pantera. How did they get so good? Because they got to jam every day with their brother. Being comfortable & close with your bandmates also leads to great band chemistry. Dimebag & Eddie dont just solo great - they're great rhythm players as well. If I ever have kids they're making a band wether they like it or not!

Oh yea, use your 'uncreative peroids' to practice & progress. When your feeling creative again you will be able to draw upon new skills.

Here's what is currently enlivening/destroying/reinventing my current 'muse', as it were...

Do whatever you can to involve yourself in a form of creating music that is completely alien to your usual, normal, regular way of doing things.

Play only acoustic. Play only bass. Better yet, play only electric guitar but don't plug in!!!

And tell your brother that he should shit or get off the pot! Even if you love him, don't let him waste your time.

You may think you have all the time in the world, but I hope that's not the case.

You would be severely mistaken.

Steve

(pay no mind...he drinks too much...)

Alright, I've only been playing for 8 months but I've hit a plateau already and it's oh so DISAPPOINTING. I can't come up with new ideas on the guitar..

It could be worse. You *could* have a brain that's exploding to the point that you can't sleep at night because you have too many ideas.

I hate to say it, but from my perspective - if you don't have any ideas you shouldn't try. Because either you weren't meant to have them, OR if you do you're forcing it.

.I sit and go over my scales, fretboard, chords, different voicings and stuff, learn songs, play with other people, and write my own stuff but it just seems like a dead end.

Those things are meant to *give* you ideas, but to give you a *framework* for ideas to form.

I would suggest maybe you need to ask yourself the question "do I *really* know my scales, chords, etc., or am I "just going over them"?". I mean - I've been doing this for 17 years now, and I still get ideas constantly everyday. Examine how *other* people have used those tools, don't just "practice" them: learn to get *inside* them.

Every player internalizes "Music" differently; if you try to figure out how that internalization works, you'll be able to step back and consider alternatives. If you can't externalize how *other* people are "making music", you don't have a context (unless you're naturally creative).

I've been listening to a vArrrrieTy of music to maybe mess with my head...

AHHHH, hah!

Try this:

Pick 3 songs you like a lot. Maybe your favorite three.

Do *nothing* but listen to those three songs *exclusively*, constantly, everyday for about 2 weeks.

Don't try to come up with anything in the mean time.

Two weeks later, sit down, start playing with no preconceived goals.

You're being too scattered in your approach I am guessing. You have to binge and purge musically....

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Thanks Chip...I really respect your opinion. I felt that was my problem too; focusing on too much and not concentrating on anything. And I guess I should refrain; it's not that I don't have ideas, I just can't get it externalize it or know what to do with it.

It's like I can sit down at a piano and bang out something that sounds remotely like what I want it to but on guitar it's just different. It's harder for me to be creative on it cause I'm basically just playing chords and less focused on melody. It's just something I have to work past.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm whining, because I'm not. I just want to contribute to the board and all I can ask is what is going through my head right now.

Joey

This message has been edited by SatoriJoe on 08-24-2001 at 02:16 AM

If you're just sitting there spinning your wheels try this:

Don't play anything at all.

There will be times ahead when you will have to meet a deadline and you will rise to the challenge. In the meantime, just don't play your guitar for a couple of weeks. You'll come back hungry and bursting with ideas.

Most musicians have these dead periods and, when all else fails, this has always worked for me.

Hey Joe- where you goin with that...never mind. I agree that you should get your brother back on the drums. My brother is a drummer and we grew up jammin in our house for years. We played in bands together for decades when we grew up too. Eventually we even managed to tour Europe and Japan with a famous composer too and we always had a great time. Well except for a few times when we wanted to kill each other. Anyway nothing beats having a practice partner right in your house. As far as the doldrums go my suggestion is to try to find some players that can kick your ass to jam with. When I was a kid I was lucky to be in some bands with guys a little older than me and a lot better. It sure kept me on my toes and forced me to keep improving. Ya need a tough skin to deal with the challenge though. Good luck!

------------------

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

My Music: www.javamusic.com/freedomland

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

You need to tap into the "right side" of your brain. When you are warming up, noodling, suddenly you hear yourself play a great lick, but you shrug and go back to work on some cover song. Back up, find that lick you subconciously played and write it down or record it. This is your creative section of the brain making music through you without the "left side" saying, "no, no, you have to do it THIS way".

Once you have a few of these ideas on tape or paper, then work with them.

Jim in Canada http://www.mp3.com/jimgraham

I suggest going out and catching some live music in your area. Summer is winding down, but there are still festivals, etc where live bands can be heard (and more importantly... seen). I know you're 18 so stay away from the club scene (I'm 38 and stay away from the club scene). There's plenty of other venues to catch a live band.

I find I always walk away from watching other guitar players with new ideas for chord voicings, phrasing, effects, etc. As long as someone is playing out, there's something to learn. I don't care if its 17 year olds at the soda joint down the street, or watching a concert archive on hob.com, train your eyes to capture the style nuances of who ever you're watching.

-John

(I wish my brother played drums)

Another idea that might get things flowing ... get a writing partner besides your brother. Working with another musician, especially if they are a good writer. Another idea is to just hook up with someone who sings and can write melodies, but doesn't play. Puting changes to someone elses melody can really get you going.
I really don't know what to put here.

Archived