Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lisa's G.A.S. article in the latest VG.

Scott from MA

Hey Lisa... I read your article today, and wanted to thank you for the chuckle! Sounds like you've been peeking through some of our windows! I had to let my wife read it so she would know that my problem isn't uncommon.

Actually, I'm not at the point, yet, where I have to keep things in a storage facility. I am guilty of the "under beds and in closets" storage though. I am also lucky enough to have a small "spare" bedroom in my house, which has become the official amps/effects/PA storage. There's also a "projects" section for extra necks and bodies (in various stages of completion), and dozens of plastic bins full of pickups, bridges, tuners, and miscellaneous parts.

Maybe it's about time for me to sort through the stuff, and let some of it go. We may have to set up some "Gearaholics Anonymous" meetings! "Hi, I'm Scott, and I have too much crap."

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's VG? A magazine? Vintage Guitars?

I have to read this article. I thought keyboard players were the worst in terms of having too much crap.

I'm Rod, I'm a gear slut.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Yeah Rod, Vintage Guitar Magazine.

Keyboard players worse? Hmmmm... I wouldn't know for sure, but I doubt it. I can see where you might require more gear, or have more money tied-up in expensive equipment... but guitarists are famous for hording ridiculous amounts of gear they never even use! Hell... I recently found a guitar that I actually FORGOT that I owned! It's even worse if, like me, you enjoy building guitars. I'll bet that I have more "spare" parts than most repair shops! And there's always a couple of projects that are "in process" around my house. How many old keyboards do you have in pieces, claiming that you will one day "restore" them?

Actually, drummers probably have the record for collecting the most crap. Most of the drummers I know have boxes upon boxes of shakers, bells, blocks, chimes, and other useless noise-makers. My drummer has a rack of little percussive thingamabobs that he keeps next to his set, because you never know when a song may NEED a thing that goes "Ker-chink!"

This message has been edited by Scott from MA on 08-22-2001 at 07:13 PM

Scott

Does VG still come like the old Rolling Stone used to be, kinda like a newspaper? I've got an old one lying around the house somewhere, if it hasn't become a drop cloth for one of my wife's crafting stuff!!!!
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

You know, before I started hanging out in these forums I had a very different view of guitar and bass players. I always had the image that the keyboard players were the ultimate gear sluts, while guitar/bass players had a streamlined setup where they had one (but expensive) guitar, a practice amp, a 'gig' amp, and a few effects. Boy was I wrong! I guess the few guitar players that I have played did not fit the general trend http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Last time I added up all the gear value in my apt for insurance purposes I got scared. I could buy a car.

I'm definetly not a DIYer, so there's not a lot of extraneous stuff hanging around, I have all my gear is connected in one room and ready to go. I can see the points about the drummers collecting percussion instruments. I've actually started collecting some stuff, I'm going to start doing some sampling of those objects for the fun of it.

To answer your question, I don't have anything in pieces, waiting to be restored http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif I am thinking about getting one of the PAIA kits (they sell keyboards and audio hardware in kits) to put together myself, though. I've worked several years as an engineer so I got a decent amt of hands on experience.

And pop, I know what you mean. There's NO room whatesoever in my bedroom. All the stuff is neat, but I can barely move in there http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by strat0124:

Does VG still come like the old Rolling Stone used to be, kinda like a newspaper

Yes, except that they've recently switched to a full-color magazine-like cover.

Originally posted by popmusic:

Is there an online version of this article?

I just checked the VG website, but it's not on there. I'd suggest picking up a copy of the mag anyway, because it features a really nice retrospective to Chet Atkins. Check it out at www.vintageguitar.com

Scott

Archived