Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

One time rock/metal/punk/alt studio rig 'all rounder'

Pro Jules

For recording ONLY

Studio use ONLY

Speaker to mic quality is ALL I am interested in.

I couldn't give a flying f^%%$&k if the speaker - ear sound was poor! Ain't gonna be nobody standing near it cept for a guitarist with headphones on.

Messa Dual rectifier - one trick pony?

VHT??

Bognor - most versatile?

Wizard - very pricey, versatile?

I am willing to drop cash on a versatile rig. I have space considerations here so for the time being, the one IDEAL recording rig is what I need. Rock is the key word. Marshall is not spinning my fan lately.

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Jules

Jules

Producer Julian Standen

London, UK,

Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recommend the Peavey Triple XXX with Peavey 412MS cab. Similar in sound to a Triple Recto, three channels, and the ability to use either EL34's or 6L6's without rebaising. I don't know what so many people have against the new Peavey stuff other than, alot of times, it sounds better than their rig they spent twice as much on. Unlike the Mesas, the Triple XXX can also do a convincing clean. I've only tried standard micing (sm57 slightly off axis) and it sounded great. Sounds good to the ear also. Seriously, give it a try.

Matt

No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Yo Jules

You must find out what a Koch amp can do for you. Dolf Koch is a small manufacturer in Amersfoort Holland and he makes very good amps and pre-amps. tel. +31(0)33 4634533

Carlos Santana found them good enough to buy a number of them.

I did record a metal CD with them and it does everything a Marshall just can't.

A really wonderful amp, IMHO much nicer and more versatile than a rectifier.

Hope this helps.

Peace.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Originally posted by theglitch:

. Unlike the Mesas, the Triple XXX can also do a convincing clean.

Any Rectifier will yield a killer clean sound.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

Any Rectifier will yield a killer clean sound.

Agreed. I have a feeling that most people who say you can't get a good clean sound out of the Rectos probably have only tried them out in a music store. Or tried to get a good clean sound with the stock Celestion loaded cabinets (Sorry, but IMO, Celestions are some of the worst speakers for getting clean sounds out of.).

Also, for clarification, the Rectifiers can do the EL34/6L6 change with a flick of a switch.

Bob

- Bogner Extacy (sp?) - by far the best sounding amp out there IMHO. Actually very versatile with the different voicing swithces, power atenuation, etc.

- Dual Rectiier is very limited, as I have found most of their high gain designs to be, but then again listen to what Jeff Buckley did with it...

- VHT - again very limited, not the best crunch sound around, but it does have character for what that's worth.

- I must insist you try a 5150 II. Absolutely rocks, wicked cheap, moderately versatile, and given my Peavey experience will probably work for thirty years.

- Most importantly, you have a good excuse to go play amps for a few hours, go friggin' do it! Get away from your computer! And by all means, fill us in.

This message has been edited by panhead@7seconds.com on 08-24-2001 at 08:41 PM

Archived