Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

help for a keyboard guy

KidCharlemagne

Hello guitar dudes! My first posting, i hope you'll indulge my rookie knowledge of equipment. i'm a keyboard player working up the b-3 part for the Who classic, Won't Get Fooled Again. I'm told that Townsend played the part through a phase shifter. My question: is a phase shifter standard or at least not uncommon gear for a guitarist? How would i use one with my Yamaha board? suggestions or experience with this tune most welcome.

Cheers.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phase shifters were common for keyboard players, I used one on my Fender

Rhodes for years. I still use one for Epiano patches.

Boss makes a good phase shifter.

Joe

Line6 has just released rack versions of their modelling pedals. The modulation modeller has MXR Phase90 and Mutron phaser models.

http://www.line6.com/Main/The_Buzz/Hot_News/StudioModelerRollout/StudioModelersWeb.jpg

http://www.line6.com/Main/The_Buzz/Hot_News/StudioModelerRollout/StudioModelersmain.htm

Happy hunting!

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Have you checked these out already, Neil?

I'm specially interested in the Filter Pro.

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Line6 has just released rack versions of their modelling pedals. The modulation modeller has MXR Phase90 and Mutron phaser models.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I had the MXR Phase 90. An excellent box.

I remember Roger Nichols somewhere mentioning that the MXR was waht was used on the Epiano for Two Aginst nature.

Joe

Originally posted by Rod CA:

Have you checked these out already, Neil?

I'm specially interested in the Filter Pro.

Unfortunately, I missed NAMM. Was supposed to be on my way to Vancouver, BC, Canada. Ended up being here, but too busy too even meet up with the guys! (And I didn't have a pass!)

The local MARS is still waiting for more pedal versions of the filter, but my buddies there said it sounded VERY cool. I have been advised by a VERY good electronic tech that the pedal versions should be avoided because of a power supply problem. He claims they adapted the wall wart from the POD for these pedals, but the design causes a power supply burnout if the voltage fed to the supply drops to approx. 110v, which is, unfortunately, not uncommon. If you have a voltage regulator (NOT a Furman PL8, etc. Those are noise filters and spike protection only. You need to spend a few hundred more for regulated voltage output.) this should be a moot point. Most of us do not own this, however.

If they are smart at Line6, this is not the case with the rack units. I have to hope they're using power supplies, designed specifically for each rack unit, but.. I'll have to check with him. Cutting corners CAN hurt you, if you're not careful.

Most everyone I've spoken to is very impressed with the sound of all the units. They may not have shipped the rack units yet.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

KidCharlemagne, I suggest you also check some of the guitar modeling floor pedalboards. For example, I've got a Boss GT-3 and it's got most of the boss floor pedals contained in it's pre sets. So you could have your phaser, as well as chorus, flange, wa wa, overdrive, distortion etc. Also guitar amp models; there have been many a B-3 recorded through a Marshall guitar amp. Just make sure whichever one you try has a phaser in it as well as a selection of other guitar effects.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by KidCharlemagne:

i'm a keyboard player working up the b-3 part for the Who classic, Won't Get Fooled Again. I'm told that Townsend played the part through a phase shifter. My question: is a phase shifter standard or at least not uncommon gear for a guitarist? How would i use one with my Yamaha board? suggestions or experience with this tune most welcome.

Oops! Another keyboard player's looking through the guitar forum ...

Actually, the part for "Won't Get Fooled Again" was played on a relatively cheap "home" organ (not sure of the brand, maybe Lowrey or Baldwin?, but definitely not a Hammond, and definitely something much lower-end than a B3) through the filter section of an EMS VCS3 synthesizer. The filter was being modulated by a LFO, and the organ part was played "live" to the rhythm established by the LFO. There's a great documentary available (in the US) on Rhino Home Video in which Pete demonstrates the technique (I believe the documentary was originally shown on BBC TV).

Most programmable synths will have LFO's and some sort of filter/VCF, so you shouldn't need an external box to get the sound you're looking for. However, if your unit is digital, especially FM or additive (i.e. not Analog Modelling or "virtual" Analog), it may not have a filter per se, so you may want to investigate the Line 6 Filter Modeller mentioned above, or one of the standalone analog filter boxes made by Frostwave or MAM or others (or pick up an Electrix from the current blowout).

Oh, and to answer your other question, a Phaseshifter (or Phasor) is a very common guitar effect pedal; well-known examples would include the Electro-Harmonix Small Stone/Bad Stone, MXR Phase 90, Mutron I/II/BiPhase, Moogerfooger 12-Stage Phaser, etc. I've had good experiences running keyboards through MXRs and Mutrons. And yes, the sound is similar to an LFO-modulated analog filter (a phase shifter is actually implemented using several LFO-modulated "notch" filters).

Archived