Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My dad's fingernails beat your dad's

LiveMusic

Yeah, stupid title.

I just thought of something I hadn't thought of in decades. My dad was a farmer. At lunch, we gathered at the country store and the farmers sat on the porch and shot the breeze after we ate a sack lunch. Seems this was a good time to cut your fingernails, as it was done often. And my dad used his pocketknife! I couldn't do that if I tried. His were so thick, they wer like whittling a stick.

So, here I am struggling to keep these nails from breaking so I can fingerpick. Is there anything you can coat nails with to keep them from splitting? One time, a girlfriend, a nail tech, put some stuff on my nails and it hardened. I wasn't playing guitar at that time; I wonder if that would work well?

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Clear polish is good to use to help keep your nails from breaking. There's also a brand of special polish called Nailtiques that helps to strengthen nails. Here's a polishing tip: When you put on the coat of polish, carefully run the brush over the tip of the nail and put a light coat at the edge and on the underneath part. That will help to seal in the edges so you don't chip off your polish.

Here's something I have yet to try, but it looks fascinating.

I was mixing monitors for the Wilkinsons, and Amanda Wilkinson had some fingernail designs protected by a THICK coating that was very hard. She said that any nail salon would know what it is and could coat my nails.

I've tried over the counter nail hardener and clear polish, but it always leaves me feeling like my nails want to turn inside out. HATE that feeling, so I gave it up years ago.

Unfortunately, I played football while waiting to leave a gig, and broke a long nail. I haven't been able to get them all to the appropriate lengths to make it worth my while, so I'm not sure how well the salon coating will work. She said you CAN cut it.

I'll keep you posted if you want.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived