Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Orange Amps

everglass

Hi,

I have been hearing a lot of people talk about Orange combo amps. I am in the market for two contrasting amps for a recording studio set-up (rock and rock pop music).

We definately want a Vox AC-30 (reissue) and wondered if the Orange would compliment it nicely. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do they still make Orange? I had one in the 70's and it was very vox sounding to me, without the top boost. Not much gain. I luckily sold mine right before it blew up. They were notoriously unstable and tended to die horrible fire and smoke deaths. I'd stay far far away unless they are re-issued and completely re-designed.

They did look pretty cool tho.

I'll second that DC...I blew one up right in the middle of a scorching solo at a place in Amite Louisiana back in 74, called Pigwrinkle Hall. Loud zzzzzplllttttattzzzzz POP.....and blue smoke. What's funny is it was still broke when it was stolen from me.......
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by everglass:

Hi,

They are brand new amps. See http://www.orange-amps.com/ie/

I am interested to know thought if they are quite Vox like. I guess if they are and I really wanted an AC30 I would be better of with an alternative second amp. Can anyone help?

Did you click on the wallpaper there? Nice filly. I'd be interested to see how the "new" amps sound, specifically the combo's. Laney makes a AC30 clone as well, I believe......and a helluva lot cheaper. Can't speak for the tone and/or reliability.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Your original question just dawned on me. Actually no, if Orange is anything sounding like it used to be, it won't really complement a Vox, it'll sound similar without the top boost to my ear.

Didn't we discuss this before? I still vote for a Mk IV Mesa Boogie.

Trivia: I toured the Marshall factory in Bletchley England about six years ago and there was an AC-30 setting there staring at me, and the guy says; "Yeah, we're contracted to make those now." Pretty wild.

Archived