Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

B string goes sharp

Jonathan Hughes

I have a standard Stratocaster (Mexican-made with the standard tremelo) And the B string seems to go sharp after I play it for a few minutes. It seems odd that the string would go sharp (and no, it's not staying the same while all the other strings are going flat, -- it's definitely going sharp).

I rarely use the tremelo, and the springs are tightened to it sits flush with the top of the guitar. I don't play hard or bend strings, etiher. Any idea what might be causing it (and how to stop it)?

thanks

Jonathan

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like the slot in the nut may be too tight on that string. The REAL fix for that is to widen the slot... but try this first: Grease the slots with some graphite grease, or even Vaseline, and see if the situation gets better.

I keep my nut (and string trees if the guitar has them) greased with Slide-Ease... it's a teflon grease made for trombone slides. Works great, doesn't make as big a mess as graphite, and only costs a few bucks for a tube.

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

No problem, Jonathan. You'll still want to have somebody file that slot larger though (it should be just slightly wider than the guage of the string). Even though the grease will HELP with tuning, it won't completely FIX the problem. As long as the string is being "pinched" in the slot, you will have some tuning problems. Also, the "pinching" of the string will effect the tone and sustain of the string.

Even after the nut is set-up correctly, it is good to get into the habit of cleaning and greasing the string path whenever you change strings. You'll be amazed at the impact it has on your guitar's tuning reliability.

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Good suggestions from Scott! Also, always stretch out the strings by pulling on them lightly to remove the slack from the windings that are around the tuners. I'd suggest doing it every time you pick up the guitar to play it, just before tuning it. Really stretch them out good whenever you put on a new set. That should help a bit too.

Archived