Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who here has MP3s?

DC

I've been lurking around these forums for awhile and learned a lot, best place I've found for musicians. So anyway, I'd like to check out as much of your music as possible. My sound card on my Internet PC has been messed up but I've finally got it sorted out and found a program called FreeAmp which is now letting me check MP3s. So far, I've checked Kahn's; Sir Bigger and it was quite good, especially seeing as how it was recorded on a 4-track. Perhaps a bit of Tull influence, 'specially in the bass playing? Anyway, totally cool to be able to check some new music on the PC. And yes, KAHN ROCKS!

Just this minute I checked some of Chips music. Extremely well recorded, very tasty technique. I'd be really interested in your recording chain and guitar Chip, or if you could point me to a thread if it's already been discussed? Anyway, very impressive, very felt playing.

So who else has music I can check? Since I'm thinking of getting into this myself I have some questions for anyone if you have the time:

1 What program do you use to turn your waves into Mp3s?

2 Has MP3.com helped any of you to sell your CDs?

3 Do you guys make 'homemade' CDs (burning your own and designing your own labels and booklets) or send them out for professional duplication?

Anyway, thanks bunches for any replies, I'm looking forward to checking out more of your music!

-David

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do:

http://pisces.com/mp3

Ya'll rock now ya heyah...

Allow myself to introduce.... myself. I probably know some you from other lists and such..

My name is Brian McLeod. I'm from Miami and I used to be in a band called Spiritual Graffiti. I'm not the drummer Brian MacLeod who played with Sheryl Crow and Kevin Gilbert.

Nice to meet ya...

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Uh oh... smartass alert! (Hi Brian, nice to see ya here! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif)

--Lee

HEY!

It's my favorite Lizardwoman!

Boy, you guys aren't very careful who you let in around here are you

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Uh oh... smartass alert! (Hi Brian, nice to see ya here! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif)

--Lee

HEY!

It's my favorite Lizardwoman!

Boy, you guys aren't very careful who you let in around here are you

Posted by DC :

>>>So far, I've checked Kahn's; Sir Bigger and it was quite good, especially seeing as how it was recorded on a 4-track. Perhaps a bit of Tull influence, 'specially in the bass playing?

----------

Thanks for checking out the tunes. My best friend is just about finished building his studio and I hope to have some "hi-fi" stuff in the near future.

>>>1 What program do you use to turn your waves into Mp3s?

----------

I use iTunes on a Mac. You might want to post that question on Craig or Dave's forum if no one here knows.

>>>2 Has MP3.com helped any of you to sell your CDs?

----------

No. I haven't tried to sell anything there. I made my tunes downloadable.

>>>3 Do you guys make 'homemade' CDs (burning your own and designing your own labels and booklets) or send them out for professional duplication?

---------

I just burn copies myself and give them to friends and such. No Graphics, Just a felt tip pen.

www.mp3.com/Surbigger

------------------

-----------

KHAN (Always hopeful, yet discontent)

www.floydtribute.hpwebhost.com

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

So who else has music I can check?

You can check my music - let me know if it's not working properly, okay. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif I'm new to the MP3 world, but I've got a couple of examples on this site:

www.mp3.com/DanSouth

It's mostly classical instrumental stuff (Baroque, to be more precise), so if that's not your bag, run away now and spare yourself the agony. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif The exception is Rain Dance, an example of my ambient stuff ( with a real bass line - yippee!! ).

I hope to get some rock/pop stuff up there in the coming weeks. I'll keep you posted.

SoundJam MP on the Mac. I have iTunes, but I haven't figured it out yet.

As I said, I'm new to this, and the music that I've posted thus far has little or no commercial potential. When I post some tail-wagging grooves, I'll get more serious about the marketing aspect. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

3 Do you guys make 'homemade' CDs (burning your own and designing your own labels and booklets) or send them out for professional duplication?

I burn homemade CD's on an Alesis MasterLink - remember that company? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif I label them with CD Stomper, and absolutely horrible program that crashes every time I use it. If anyone can suggest an alternative labeling methodology, I'm all ears.

Originally posted by DC:

Just this minute I checked some of Chips music. Extremely well recorded, very tasty technique. I'd be really interested in your recording chain and guitar Chip, or if you could point me to a thread if it's already been discussed? Anyway, very impressive, very felt playing.

Thanks, that keeps me going for another few days.... Although I've GOT to get some more representational up! Ahg...

The guitar is a Gibson Gospel. The best one I've heard; I bought it specifically because this one has the best sonic qualities I like in an acoustic guitar, caught me off guard and I had to buy it.

The downside is that it plays quite stiffly and is a bit of a beast to work with from an action standpoint - NOT Taylor-like at all... but I love it for it's sound.

SM-81 with the preamps in a Soundtracs Topaz through a very short George L's cable into an Event Gina sound card, Cool Edit.

Quite noisy, and the room I had was quite yucky in around 200-400hz. which meant I ended up figuring out I had to record at extreamly microscopically close distances to get the S/N I wanted AND detail... which sacrificed realism a bit IMO and makes it strident. I learned detail at a distance costs money from this experience, since this was really the first mostly solo-acoustic-based project I've engineered. Quite depressing.

The interesting thing is that most all of the single note stuff, including the solos, was recorded with the tip of the microphone less than maybe an inch from the strings. I actually moved the guitar up and down as I played so that the mic would point at the string(s) I was playing (you can hear swooshing in a few places). This wasn't the most ideal... creative environment from a playing standpoint, but I guess that stuff is ok. I spent a ton of time A/B'ing mic positions to try to keep the low mids clean, probably over did it, and over eq'ed trying to cover cheapnis response in the highend... but I tried to use basically no compression because I wanted it to sound like an actual acoustic guitar instead of being "small". I'd like to do some of that stuff over again "better" with nicer gear one day, but I've got to move on to other things (back to electric, which what I'm good at).

Music Match and... I can't remember now, it's been awhile... I know that they both react completely randomly it would seem to different recordings, and that Music Match generally sounds bad (IMO) (but then MP3's just sound bad period, so...)

Slightly, although I haven't pushed it because my site is really sort of a lark - it's not optimal what I have posted there IMO but it's a nice compromise for the interim.

Used to do home made CD's, big hassle. I wish MP3.com would do micro-runs from 16/44.1 wav files for the same deal they do the MP3's... unless someone knows of s similar service that will let you do it just as easily (upload the parts and go). Haven't done a pro dupe solo CD yet - *yet*.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

First off, thanks for sharing everyone! I don't have anything on the web yet, but if anyone is curious and doesn't mind their mailbox clogged up for a few megs of MP3 then drop me a line (davecharles@musician.net) and say: Send me a David & Selena song. I'll try and get a tune or two encoded and mail it to you next week.

BrianMcLeod, pleased to meet you as well. Have checked out your complete songs, so far you are the closest to what we're doing (melodic vocal beat music?!). I'm speaking of Anything For Her and She Prays, not so much the OHMYGOWDMIX (which is really good, but I just hardly ever find myself doing instrumentals). At any rate, GREAT! Very cool songs, singing and playing. Would very much enjoy hearing about your inspiration, influences and gear and such.

dansouth, I love Baroque music! Just this minute checked your page and it's really good! (altho that photograph of you sitting with your skull, you dress a bit odd...) I don't see how you can write in that direction, I'm very impressed as I can't do anything like that from scratch. The ambient tune is a real departure from the classical ones, I dig it! That would be perfect for a film score, do you do that sort of thing?

WFTurner and AlChuck, I'm gonna be listening in very soon.

Chip, I don't see how in the world you could play those parts AND be conscious of not bashing into an SM-81 only one inch away! I've tried an SM-81 on my acoustic (Martin 0-16 NY -one like Ian Anderson uses) and it sounded almost identical to just running it direct (Martin thin line under the saddle), except it picked up all these horrid screechy fingers changing position noises that the direct route leaves out. The Martin has a very small body so doesn't generate a lot of volume or deep tone, but it's got a wide neck which I need. I'm not familiar with the Gibson Gospel, does it have a large body? I've got a couple of old Gibsons that are just perfect for writing on. Something just feels good with Gibsons for coming up with songs out of thin air. Anyway, I'll certainly look forward to hearing you on electric guitar!

Thanks again...

Hey DC!

Where can we find YOUR MP3's? I'd love to check them out!!

dansouth, I love Baroque music!

Baroque is awesome. My Dad calls the Baroque period "the boyhood of music." It's so carefree and full of excitement! You can definitely forget your troubles when you listen to Vivaldi, Bach, Purcell, et al.

Just this minute checked your page and it's really good!

Thanks very MUCH!!! I deeply appreciate the feedback!

(altho that photograph of you sitting with your skull, you dress a bit odd...)

Well, ya know, ya gotta have a distinctive image. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif Actually, I just like posting my vacation photos. I'm trying to talk my accountant into claiming those trips as a business expense, but so far, he's not buying it. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

I don't see how you can write in that direction, I'm very impressed as I can't do anything like that from scratch.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm sort of dabbling in the Baroque genre; I learn a little more with every piece that I write. Glad to hear that it's coming across okay.

The ambient tune is a real departure from the classical ones, I dig it! That would be perfect for a film score, do you do that sort of thing?

Maybe, someday! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif I'm glad that you picked up on the film aspect, though. I have written a number of similar pieces (mood music) and I hope to release them someday on a CD. The problem is that all of my old mixes were to cassette, so I have to go back and re-do all of them. That's gonna take a while. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

Thanks again...

Thank YOU!!!!

Originally posted by BrianMcLeod:

My name is Brian McLeod. I'm from Miami and I used to be in a band called Spiritual Graffiti.

Brian - excellent stuff. Guitars sound amazing. Mixes are clean and warm. Did you play the bass, also? Excellent bass lines! (I'm gonna download 'em for practice purposes, if ya don't mind.)

I listened to Anything and OhMyGawd. Anything did not seem Beatlesque, but more like a pop version of Pearl Jam. Kind of like The Nixons with a Herman's Hermits vocal style. Way COOL!

You should develop OMG into a song. It has a nice Vernon Reid edge to it. Could be a winner!!!

All the best,

Dan

Originally posted by AlChuck:

I have a small website, so all I can put up is one song at any given time (two if they're really short).

http://www.mindspring.com/~wolcott.oehler/

Click the Music Page link...

Hey - I checked out Kaching (sp??) - very cool. I like the soaring guitar sound. It reminds me of Satriani over a Tower Of Power style rhythm. The sound is great. The guitar has just the right amount of reverb.

I have one editing suggestion. Rather than playing the melody figure eight times in a row, you might try thred times and hold a long note, then three more and a different figure to lead into the B section. It would break up the phrasing and let it "breathe" a little more. The solo section was great. You're a very skillful guitarist!

Good luck!

Dan

Well golly geeesh, thanks (turns pink)...

Seriously, I really appreciate the feedback on the song. Now that the happy acident part is done, it really needs just a bit of work with that melody. It's pretty much the result of just jamming along with the loops, then isolating a phrase I liked and repeating it. But I stink (as do you, and others) that it needs just some little thing to lift it just when that phrase starts to get a little too repetitive... others have also suggested that it ends too suddenly and when the solo stops it sort of gets too static for a little bit there...

I'll let you know when I get it worked out.

-AlChuck

Originally posted by DC:

Chip, I don't see how in the world you could play those parts AND be conscious of not bashing into an SM-81 only one inch away!

Well, it wasn't much fun, which is sort of reflected in the droll nature of the solos I think. I didn't say I never bashed into it... Just didn't keep it. Some parts may have been closer, and I did some "natural" compression by moving closer on some soft parts, backing up on others. Got that reverse a few times and ruined some takes... After I committed to doing things that way I was stuck and had to do the lot that way... got real burned out in a few months of that.

I've tried an SM-81 on my acoustic (Martin 0-16 NY -one like Ian Anderson uses) and it sounded almost identical to just running it direct (Martin thin line under the saddle), except it picked up all these horrid screechy fingers changing position noises that the direct route leaves

Oh geez, finger noise that close is such a bitch!!! You have to play SO precise, that's so stilting as well. That close you do a phrase you think you pulled off perfectly, then you listen back and it just so happens a tiny string squeak is GARGANTUAN in the Recorded Medium.

Really, there's a dominance of coloration in the lower treble I was desperate to try to avoid that at the same time was prerequisite for the response of the guitar to work. I picked that guitar BECAUSE I liked how it sounded BY ITSELF - which is to say by the time it reaches the other end of the Cheap Recording Chain it sounds dull... So you pick harder and try to play perfectly precise and hope you don't make an inadvertant noise and etc....

For strumming ala Ian Anderson it's not as critical. My problem is in wanting it all in the single note world - extreamly delicate nuance as well aggressively attacked phrases. I didn't want loud and upfront chordal parts and small rinky dink distant single note parts.

or deep tone, but it's got a wide neck which I need. I'm not familiar with the Gibson Gospel, does it have a large body?

Basic dreadnaught with a slightly arched back. Closer to a dark D-28 than a Gibson Hummingbird type sound, actually. Very "classic acoustic" sounding, not exaggerated in the high end like a Taylor (which I love, but is a different thing), not compressed like a "great" Martin (which I also love, but limits you dynamically... but also makes it easier to play. Oh well), balanced volume from low to high register (which is unlike most everything).

So it's not as much fun to bash as a a regular Gibson, or to strum as a Taylor, or to noodle on as A Martin - but it's all around purposeful when one doesn't have such options.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

OK, here are a couple from a project I've been doing a little bit with.

Highlights: Mr. Riddle (live to 4-track, vocals overdubbed, all one take), Myself (first digital recording I've ever created, made it onto a release through a small indie label).

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/191/the_new_glitch.html

HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET THE mp3.com/whatever instead of a long URL?!?

Matt

No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

We have lotsa mp3s up at http:/mp3.com/bigsky . Studio tracks, live cuts, and demos. We've gained many thousands of listeners, and made some good $$. These days, I use SoundJam (mac) for MP3 conversion.

FWIW, there's E-Bow on our newest tune, "Far Away."

Steve Sklar/Big Sky

http://mp3.com/bigsky

Hi guys, I don't do much Internet on weekends so haven't checked back.

dansouth wrote:

Hey DC!

Where can we find YOUR MP3's? I'd love to check them out!!

From my earlier post: I don't have anything on the web yet, but if anyone is curious and doesn't mind their mailbox clogged up for a few megs of MP3 then drop me a line (davecharles@musician.net) and say: Send me a David & Selena song. I'll try and get a tune or two encoded and mail it to you next week.

I downloaded an encoder and so I have my first MP3. It's kind of a swing tune and came out to around 5 megs. Can I zip it? If anyone wants to hear it let me know? And MP3 is a standard thing yes? I mean, I can send it to Mac people can't I?

Glitch, are you into 'X?' I'm referring to 'NGPS.' Really cool punky feel with cool middle 8 softer section. I'm gonna check some more. I dig your web site. Do you do HMTL or hire it out?

William F, have you got about a million songs out there or what? I checked Heaven's on the Line and I really like the sorta Grateful Deadish feel you're getting. Unique guitaring, I like that style.

AlChuck, thanks for the tune, and let us know when you have a new one up. I especially liked your links section. Never seen that old Beatles site...

Steve Sklar, wow, you guys are doing so many things RIGHT! I can't get over your totally cool web site, graphics, MP3 earnings and of course; MUSIC. Hats off mate, Big Sky is a force to be reckoned with.

All of you people are making me totally jealous. I'm gonna have to sort out getting a web page, MP3.com etc. Loads of thanks all 'round for showing me your music.

davecharles@musician.net

ps Thanks Chip for revealing some recording techniques and describing your Gibson. This may come as a bit of a shock, but I've never played a Taylor. Oh, the trials and tribulations of living in the sticks.

DC wrote:

Glitch, are you into 'X?' I'm referring to 'NGPS.' Really cool punky feel with cool middle 8 softer section. I'm gonna check some more. I dig your web site. Do you do HMTL or hire it out?

Thanks for the feedback, although I'm not sure what 'X' is. I do my own html in my spare time (which is almost nonexistant). BTW, all the songs with the black cover are basically live to 4-track. Thanks again,

Matt

No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

i have some humble offerings.....

there are many songs there.....

to narrow down, i would suggest "the payment"

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/207/trouble1.html

this is my mp3 site, i also have a home page and iuma site.....

i use this site to post mp3's of the songs i burn to cd to sell, or give away, as the feeling moves me.....

they are all recorded and mastered into a roland vs880ex......

i play/program/sing all noises...

Originally posted by DC:

BrianMcLeod, pleased to meet you as well. Have checked out your complete songs, so far you are the closest to what we're doing (melodic vocal beat music?!). I'm speaking of Anything For Her and She Prays, not so much the OHMYGOWDMIX (which is really good, but I just hardly ever find myself doing instrumentals). At any rate, GREAT! Very cool songs, singing and playing. Would very much enjoy hearing about your inspiration, influences and gear and such.

Thanks DC. I record at home on a Roland VS and in Logic on the Mac mostly. I do sessions frequently in analog and digital tape based studios but I'm getting more and more into the computer audio world and doing less and less guitar sessions really. I'm getting my editing chops together

Anything For Her was recorded in Nashville a few years back on 2" analog through a MAGICAL Harrison console...

The OhMyGawd silliness was just a perfectly good afternoon wasted here at Casa De Crunch - heh.

Thanks for the listen,

Brian McLeod

Miami, Florida

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

Brian - excellent stuff. Guitars sound amazing. Mixes are clean and warm.

Thanks Dan. I use a POD and NS10's proof positive that where's there's a will... SHUT UP, LEE!

Did you play the bass, also? Excellent bass lines! (I'm gonna download 'em for practice purposes, if ya don't mind.)

I played the virtually indistinguishable bass line on OhMyGawd and I wrote a lot of the bass lines in Spiritual Graffiti but we had several players over the years. Our original bass player was super creative and ultimately irreplaceable.

I listened to Anything and OhMyGawd. Anything did not seem Beatlesque, but more like a pop version of Pearl Jam. Kind of like The Nixons with a Herman's Hermits vocal style. Way COOL!

Alright... I'm cool with Nixons meets Hermans Hermits !

You should develop OMG into a song. It has a nice Vernon Reid edge to it. Could be a winner!!!

All the best,

Dan

Thanks, Dan. Appreciate the feedback!

Best,

Brian McLeod

Miami, Florida

Originally posted by gonzo-x:

i use this site to post mp3's of the songs i burn to cd to sell, or give away, as the feeling moves me.....

Hey Gonzo - I know you from VS-Planet.

No doubt - a player's player!

What a small internet

Best,

Brian McLeod

Miami, Florida

Originally posted by gonzo-x:

Hey Gonzo - I know you from VS-Planet.

No doubt - a player's player!

What a small internet

Best,

Brian McLeod

Miami, Florida

I have solo fingerstyle songs at:

http://www.mp3.com/jimgraham

My music is a mix of original and traditional Flamenco, Classical, Celtic and other stuff

I recorded with a Shure SM 57 into a 4 channel Teac reel to reel. Then I had these digitally mastered at a pro studio. MP3.com has helped me sell sell CD's, both from thier site (DAM CD's) and with a link from there to guitar9.com where my manufactured CD's are available.

Jim in Canada

Archived