Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Next Generation Modeling in new Line 6 Amps?

Steve2000

Howdy all,

First time poster here...with an amp question-or 3.

Was just reading Craig Anderton's (extraordinary, imo) item in the August Guitar Player about Line 6 revamping it's combo amp line using the new ultra powerful SHARC DSP chips-the same processors used in H+K's new zentera super modeler (list price $3,500). The article is in the first part of the current GP in the Techno Tools column under the title: "The Next Generation of Modeling."

I've been a Line 6 owner since 1998 (AX2) and a longtime supporter of all kinds of products designed to give a variety of good to great tones at controllable volumes.

Have watched with interest over the past few years as Line 6 used a clever marketing plan to develop/package and sell products created for specifically targeted users/applications. AX2 and 2 generations of Flextone combos for gigging players or wannabes. The POD for direct injection stuff, though folks immediately began figuring ways to put em in live rigs. Now the all modeled stompbox pedals and Line 6's entry into serious arena amps with the Flextone II HD stacks, which seem to be cutting it with the young bands who need those kind of rigs.

Most of Line 6's new product offerings since 98-99 have cost effectively used repackaged variations on their already existing technology, including their basic and now 'dated' (imo) 'Tubetone' chip-now 4 years old.

Through all this Line 6 has become the most successful modeling company in the world doing. Deservedly so in my opinion. Good products, good value and an almost ingenious 'product development/product packaging for targeted users' marketing plan.

So it's with great interest that I read Craig's column announcing Line 6's 'next generation' of modeling amps. (When?? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

These will apparently feature the first true upgrade/replacement of their modeling chip since the 'fine for the times' "Tubetone" chip in 1997-8. I believe the Flextone II chip to is a modification of the original Tubetone chip. This partial redesign, probably using the standard Tubetone DSP chips, was part of a successful overhaul of the Flextone line and resulted in a much improved Flextone combo. The POD.2s got additional models and features as a bonus from the modded chip.

The redesign of the Flextone line resulted in the better sounding and more natural feeling Flextone II combos introduced in 2000 and was apparently somewhat of a full overhaul (not just a chip upgrade or mod, adding models etc). This redesign saw Line 6 do an about-face rethink of their original 'flat EQ reproduction system' philosophy for their combos and substantially change the newer Flextone's poweramp and speaker/cab characteristics...the end goal being again, a more natural feel and better, guitar friendly sound. They succeeded

--------

In anycase I am very anxious for what I consider to be a possible major leap forward in modeling with the powerful new DSP chips...and a true major chip upgrade from Line 6 at long last.

Imo, H+K makes great products and price seems to be no object for them.

Line 6 on the other hand has enjoyed it's huge success partly because price is very much the object-and they are very good at designing great bang for the buck products.

I'm fairly sure I will never own a zentera, but there's a strong possibility I will own one of Line 6's next generation of digital amps with the supercharged chips and (I would assume) improved, more realistic...Better tone and feel. The real "next step" modeling fans and advocates have been waiting for.

Does Craig-or anyone-have any info about a possible release date on the new amp line? Any info on what will happen to the existing Line 6 combo amp line?

Will the new amps replace the Flextones or maybe the old AX2 (their oldest, but still 'most tweakable' combo design-tho I think this amp suffers from being the last amp still being made under Line 6's original 'flat power amp/speakers' philosophy. It simply doesn't seem to sound as good or feel as natural as the current improved Flextone IIs).

FWIW, the 'artists rendering' of the proposed new Line 6 amp at the top of Craig's GP article seemed to look control-laden enough to be a contender for their new top of the line combo amp position.

I don't expect Line 6 will be too forthcoming on potential new product info which may hurt sales of inventory that's out there for sale now...but any info/discussion from Lisa, Craig or anyone on any of these questions is appreciated.

TIA

Steve2000

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived