Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is it about guitars...?

-

As Billy Joel said "you just can't play Purple Haze on piano"! I love piano, I always wished I knew how to play because you can play so MUCH music on it but I wouldn't trade being a guitar player for it.

------------------

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

My Music: www.javamusic.com/freedomland

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I've been playing piano for a long time.

It's bothersome that the knowledge doesn't transfer from piano to guitar easily. I've noticed that notewise, what would take me a few minutes to play and memorize at the piano is taking me about a week to master on the guitar.

I've been playing guitar for a few years just trying to transfer what I know about playing piano. Doesn't really work, so now I'm more formal in practicing guitar and learning a guitar approach to making music. I've bought some videos and they have been helpful because I can see the guitar approach. Conversly, I think that playing piano for so many years and having studied for such a long time has made me take for granted all the piano playing idiosyncracies of fingering and chord formation that I'm missing on the guitar.

Joe

I know that I steal phrasing from piano lines or sax lines I've heard. But a great example of a piano player who is also a good guitar player is George Winston...he's got that slack key Hawaiian stuff down pat.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Archived