Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Carvin SX100 anyone??

Scott from MA

Anyone own (or tried) a Carvin SX100 amp? The only sound sample on the Carvin site has it at full-gain distortion. Sure it sounds great like that, but I'm more curious about it's ability to produce subtle distortion sounds. I like my sound to be pretty clean, but to crunch when I really dig into it. Is the Carvin solid-state capable of this kind of performance?

Currently, I use a stage set-up that has a tube pre-amp in front of 2 LabSeries L5 amps. The Lab's are really clean and powerful, and the pre-amp gives me that little bit of dirt when I hit it hard. Unfortunately, I don't find myself on a large stage too often anymore, and I'm tired of lugging around these mammoth amps. It sure would be nice to find a mid-sized amp that will give me a pretty faithful reproduction of my sound.

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scott, have you checked out any of the Tech21 stuff, particularly the Trademark 60. It's very light and I find it very responsive when digging in. Plus it has a clean boost which kicks up the level without changing the tone. It crunches real well when you crank the guitar volume and smooths out when you roll it back. Combine it with a Power Engine and the two together probably weigh less than one Lab!

------------------

KJ

-------------------

bari man low

KJ

-------------------

"50 million Elvis Presley fans can't be all wrong" - John Prine

KJ... I tried to find a Trademark 60 to check out, after reading good reviews of it on here, but none of the stores in my area carry them. There's only one place here that carries any Tech 21, and all they have are the pedals.

Well... I'm out of work for the summer... maybe I'll take a drive to New York and go to some REAL stores! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

OK... excuse my ignorance, but, what is a Power Engine? I probably should know, but I'm still stuck in the world of '70s gear! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/redface.gif

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Scott, the Power Engine is a Tech21 60watt amp with a 12" speaker that is designed to give a transparent response to whatever you feed into it. It is a perfect match for the Trademark 60. I had trouble finding a dealer also in my area. I live on the MA/NH border. A local store in Salem NH just picked up the Tech21 line. I walked in, saw the Trademark 60 and demoed it. The owner told me that he can't keep them in and that he sells them within days of getting them in. I told him he sold another! I think Mars music stocks the Tech21 amps, you can check them out in Natick or Cambridge MA.

It's good to see another MA person on this site!

------------------

KJ

-------------------

bari man low

KJ

-------------------

"50 million Elvis Presley fans can't be all wrong" - John Prine

• 3 weeks later...
I just bought a Carvin SX100D this past Friday. Haven't had time to really air it out yet. We're fortunate to have a Carvin shop locally, and they had a sale that just ended on Saturday. So I went over there and actually got to plug in and try it before I bought. Took a look at the SX100D and SX200D. The only reason I didn't get the 200 was because of it's size. Check back with me in a few months and I'll let you know how I like it, but i know they have excellent quality stuff.

Archived