Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

victoria amps anybody?

D. Gauss

anybody recorded or gigged with a victoria amp? i've heard good things in the past, but never paid much attention 'cause of the high price.... however, i just came across a used one that i might be able to do a swap for if i like it. (i haven't played it yet but probably will tomorrow) tweed 3x10 35 watt fender bandmaster clone. any info appreciated..

-d. gauss

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i guess nobody's ever heard of one. oh well. it rocks!! buddy guy uses two 80 wett models. the one i just picked up is 30. all point to point. built like a brick outhouse. the harder you pick, the more it breaks up. cool

-d. gauss

You could pick up a used Fender REissue Bassman for about $400 and put in better tubes and the Gerald Weber bias adjustment (see his books) and have a pretty good amp. I also put in a vintage style output transformer and Weber VST P10R speakers. I get a lot of compliments for my tone and didn't spend a lot of bones.

d. gauss - Congrats on that purchase. Haven't heard the Vicky's, but hear they're great.

Bob - What kind of tubes did you put in the Bassman? Did you add a tube rectifier or keep the solid state plug? Where did you pick up the tranny? Big sonic improvement or subtle? I'm getting ready to do some work on mine and would be very interested in hearing your opinions.

<>

unfortunately, its real hard to find a used reissue bassman around here (NYC) for less than $550-600 dollars. add the tranny cost, the cost of weber speakers, new tubes, and pay someone to do the mod (i don't solder), and it gets kind of expensive for a printed circuitboard amp...albiet one that does sound really good. i basically sold a second blackfaced silverface deluxe reverb that i had as a backup and a kent (remember them?) b-15 fliptop clone and got enough money for them to cover the cost of the victoria so i'm not complaining.

-d. gauss

Originally posted by suck knob:

Bob - What kind of tubes did you put in the Bassman? Did you add a tube rectifier or keep the solid state plug? Where did you pick up the tranny? Big sonic improvement or subtle? I'm getting ready to do some work on mine and would be very interested in hearing your opinions.

Okay, I did go a little overboard. I put in a set of black plate RCA 6L6's which cost me $250 from Vacuum Tube Valley. The output transformer is a Dixie and I got it from Dave Allen of Allen Amplification for about $90. The transformer makes the distortion tones more pleasant sounding. The RCA's have a chimmy sound especially with my Tele.

A cheaper and still very good place for tubes is Lord Valve at NBS Electronics in Denver. He will E-mail you his price list.

For a reissue Bassman, I recommmend you get Lord Valve's JAN Philips 6L6 which I think are only about $40 for a matched set. He burns them in to weed out bads ones. I also got some nice GE preamp tubes (12 AX7) from his lordship. He's got lots of tubes and sends them out the same day you order.

Oh yeah, I got some RCA 5U4's from him for about $20 each but right now I am using a Mullard made GZ34 rectifier. I may go back to the 5U4 because I need more crunch at lower volume and my band mates don't keep up with me volume wise.

I forgot to add that Gerald Weber's modification for the reissue Bassman is very valuable. You can experiment by switching tubes and correct biasing with a multi-meter. The factory reissue Bassmans are probably set a little cold to cut down on warranty work.

Archived