Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Foot switch for old Fender amp tremolo?

Lee Flier

OK, well since I was so successful in finding the killer Vox Tone Bender when I needed it, here's another obscure request: I have a '65 Fender Pro Reverb which does not have a foot switch for the tremolo. I think those were common to all the Fender amps of the era and any foot switch from any of them should work, but I dont't know whether new ones are made, or if they're compatible with the pre CBS ones. Anybody else know?

It would be nice to find a foot switch, but if it's too expensive and/or I can't find one soon, can I just take a standard 1/4" plug and fuse the wires together so the tremolo will always just be "on" if I turn the controls up? With all my previous Fender amps that had foot switches, I used to just leave it plugged in and turned on all the time anyway.

Suggestions welcome.

--Lee

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Lee, I have a b.f. Fender Princeton Reverb in mint condition w/ a factory dust cover with correct label! It has tremelo ,too but I don't have that damn switch! It's a double one for mine. I remember when they used to be lying around in bins in used music stores for a few bucks. Coulda, shoulda, woulda. You can count on an original being expensive. The good news is that any single pole(SPST I believe) push button foot switch ( like that classic nickel plated button on so many stomp boxes) will work. If your amp is a 65 there should be a female RCA jack on the back labeled "Vibrato pedal". Just wire a male RCA on to your foot switch cord and plug in and you're in business. If you don't have an unused foot switch lying around you can get all this stuff at any Radioshack or electronics store. The only trick is finding a sturdy box to mount the switch in but they are out there ,too.( Note: Many newer digital devices have plug in on/off switches but they are usually the momentary type and won't work unless you stand on 'em.)

What I did was to install a female 1/4" phone jack on my Echoplex foot switch, allowing use with variable lengths of cord and with other instruments.

Afterthought: Sorry wasn't fully awake before.. Evidently you have both reverb and tremelo(Fender calls it "Vibrato") like I do.If you want both switchable then you need to make a double version and wire it with 4 conductor cable and add another male RCA. This is how the original is. Or maybe you'll luck out and find an original. If you get more than one offer please let me know.

Fender sells the footswitches for the old style amps as a replacement part. Perhaps they are also used in the Blackface Reissues.

Here ya go: http://www.fender.com/spa/amp-parts.html

------------------

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

This message has been edited by gtrmac@hotmail.com on 06-20-2001 at 02:24 AM

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Originally posted by gtrmac@hotmail.com:

Fender sells the footswitches for the old style amps as a replacement part. Perhaps they are also used in the Blackface Reissues.

Here ya go: http://www.fender.com/spa/amp-parts.html

Shit, talk about the last place you'd look! I've been pleasantly surprised by the most excellent Fender website again. They really have woken up to what made 'em famous in the first place. You can get anything from free wiring diagrams and accurate setup info for Strat's etc. to ...uh..original footswitches.(a little pricey, but the real thing) Great support for the old gear.

Thanks for the info, gtrmac.

Lee,

If you just want it to work you can build it a lot cheaper($55-$65+ shipping,tax from Fender) Sure would be nice to have an original though......(new or old).

Duh... you know I was wondering whether Fender may have started making them again. They didn't used to, but seeing as they've been all into the vintage reissue stuff lately, I should have figured they got smart about that. I've known enough players with blackface amps that are missing footswitches, they must be selling a ton of them! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Thanks guys!

--Lee

Archived