Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting that double-tracked guitar sound live

strat0124

Most of the time I only use one amp these days, given the pubs we normally play. But when we do get to play outdoors or a large hall, I like to use two amps to get that "tracked" thickness playing live. I guess you could do the same using a SansAmp as your other "amp". Playing outdoors is cool cause you can drive your amps a little more.....those of you with Fender Supers know what I'm talking about. But two amps either with a splitter or using a Boss Super Chorus or something like that really gives you such a huge sound. My bandmates love it, really fills out a three piece. Any experiences you sinners?
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For many of the shows we play the PA is set up in stereo. When this is the case.I ask the tech to set up two mics on my rig.(I run stereo on stage).

Another trick for getting a wider stereo image(for a mono guitar rig) live (if you're going through a stereo PA) is the Haas effect. Try putting a 20 to 30 ms. delay on the guitar on one side of the PA, and no delay on the other side. It really W*I*D*E*N*S out the sound.

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

strat,

Obviously many players "known" for having great tone do this with multiple amps. Eric Johnson, SRV, Santana, and many others have used this idea as an integral part of their sound.

I do the same thing with an A/B box and my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and a POD. I like to set the POD to a Plexi, Matchless, Mesa, or Soldano sound which creates an interesting sound mix with the Fender sound. I can leave my Fender sound clean, or use an effects chain to alter the sound. I find that mixing tones emphasizes similar frequencies creating a tone that's different that just one or the other.

I've played with making one sound overdriven and the other clean for rhythm playing. It's cool to have the chord clarity of the clean sound combined with the "fuzzier" overdriven sound.

Live it's important that you have a sound guy and a decent monitor mix so that you can hear both sounds...

It's also interesting to have a delay on only one sound, or a chorus or even a wah. Wah'ing a distortion sound with the clean sound un-effected sounds really interesting...

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Originally posted by DC:

Just go the Brian May route. Get 9 Vox AC-30s and put em in three stacks of three. Run your guitar through a treble booster and put delays between each of the three stacks of amps. Very thick.

ONLY 9?!! Jeez, I would think that you would be hardly able to hear the Guitar over the drums! I say spend the extra $3600 ('bout $1200 a piece, right?)and and add another stack to make it an even twelve! But, seriously, I had no clue that BM used Vox amps. I would never have guessed. I guess he used some kind of overdrive pedal to get the drive, or is that all amp?

I really don't know what to put here.

Originally posted by Sylver:

I guess he used some kind of overdrive pedal to get the drive, or is that all amp?

He ran a box that gave him a 6db boost, made by John Deacon. A Top Boost AC30 gets pretty saturated suddenly cranked almost all the way with the tone controls up.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Archived