Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Marshall JMP1 sound

Bikerman

Guys, advice needed.

I'm currently recording a guitarist who loves the sound that the marshall JMP1 gives. I'm computer based and looking for a unit to buy. Yes, I can get the JMP1 but before I do I'd like opinions from guitarists about whether this is the best bet......

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, JMP is good choice.

Considere POD or POD Pro. If you like to record with microphone, try Line6 Flextone (my choice)...

If it sounds god, just play the darn thing

I bought my JMP-1 years ago when they first came out and I still really like it. For direct recording, I prefer the JMP-1 to the Marshall models on my POD. The POD, however, will give you a much wider range of sounds. The only real drawback to the JMP-1 is that the clean sounds are not the greatest--they're not bad, just not that great.

I've used a JMP1 for years. I bought one when they first came out. It sounds great through a tube power amp and a 4x12 cab. For recording direct though I was never satisfied. First I used it through a power amp into a Marshall SE100. Then I used the JMP1 straight into a ADA Ampulator (These emulated speakers AND the power amp). This was the best setup I used until the POD and POD Pro came out.

<< The only real drawback to the JMP-1 is that the clean sounds are not the

greatest--they're not bad, just not that great. >>

Did you ever try the pot that you turn with a screw? There is a hole on the top of the unit.

Buddy

<>

Actually, I never noticed this despite having popped the top off a couple times to change tubes. I'm gonna have to take a look later on. Thanks for the tip. BTW, what effect does this pot have on the sound of the JMP1?

<

on the top of the unit.>>

I'm sorry about that. This feature is on the 9OO1, a tube preamp that Marshall made before the JMP1 (in fact the JMP1 replaced it). I have both units and I got this feature confused. It is a feature that I wish they had kept on the JMP1. On the 9OO1 it only affects the first channel. It gives the clean channel a real nice glassy sound. It is a set it to taste and forget it kind of thing.

Buddy

I don't get it, why would would YOU have to get one? Shouldn't the guitarist have his own?

Anyhow for the price of a used jmp-1 you can get a brand new POD that's gonna be a lot more versatile and definitely better sounding as a direct recording medium. The jmp-1 has no effects at all. The distortion is premium Marshall valve quality though rather noisy on the OD 2 but that's what you get for saturation. I've owned and loved my jmp-1 for years and sold it without ever looking back. Go for the POD I say.

Emile

Emile, you're right about the noise. Last night I was playing with student of mine (Hill Of Sculls - Satriani). His JMP1 was really noisy. My Flextone did well (Well, what have you been expecting)... So, Bikerman, go for the POD or the POD Pro!!!

Go woth the POD Pro if you can, or at least the POD. I use to use the JMP1 through a ADA Ampulater for direct recording, but after the POD came out I only use it for direct recording (in fact about 85% of the guitar parts are used with the POD). The only time I mike is when I need feedback effects or to use a sound that is not on the POD like a Music Man or a Fender Vibroverb that I like.

Buddy

Originally posted by Mile:

Emile, you're right about the noise. Last night I was playing with student of mine (Hill Of Sculls - Satriani). His JMP1 was really noisy. My Flextone did well (Well, what have you been expecting)... So, Bikerman, go for the POD or the POD Pro!!!

Wow! You're telling me some kids are still into that stuff? I can't believe it! Satriani got me serious about playing when I was starting out but since grunge, punk-pop and tekno I was under the impression that no kid was ever gonna go pass power-chords and fuck-faces...

Emile

Originally posted by Emile:

Wow! You're telling me some kids are still into that stuff? I can't believe it! Satriani got me serious about playing when I was starting out but since grunge, punk-pop and tekno I was under the impression that no kid was ever gonna go pass power-chords and fuck-faces...

Emile

Sorry, missed that one or I would answer earlier.

Yeah, I have lot of students who are into rock and metal... I try to teach the old stuff too. I played with one student Apache (Shadows) and with other Albatross (Peter Green)... Talking about old stuff. We performed it on the final concert (end of school year)... It was great!

Archived