Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GIBSON ACOUSTIC REPAIR

4star

Have 1965 that has been damaged. It won't be playable (I don't think) again but has sentimental value. Knew a guy who repaired it once in Stone Mountain, Ga. but can't recall the name of shop, etc. Now live in Chicago. Does anyone know of someone who repairs other than sending it back to Gibson?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's the model, and what's the nature of the damage? You'd be amazed at the current "state of the art" in guitar repair and restoration. '65 was not a bad year, especially for J-45's and J-50's. The J-200's had some really strange stuff going on, and you've got to get rid of those plastic bridges & the bridges with adjustable height saddles, but the wood wasn't bad. If you can give some more details, I might be able to send you to the right place for the repair job.

Basically, the guitar is in two pieces. The base of the neck was broken from the main section of the guitar. Oops! No, it wasn't my fault! It's my husbands guitar. I am trying to see if there's any way to have it repaired. He has had it since jr. high school. It's a J45 sunburst. That's all I really can tell you. Was hoping to repair and surprise him. If we need more info I'll need to find out for you.

Hard to diagnose completely with words only, but it sounds eminently repariable. Worst case, it gets a new neck. A common break for Gibsons is the peghead. Is that it? Or is the break in the heel area? Either way, it can be fixed for less than you would spend on a comparable guitar. J-45s of that era (with decent bridges) are really nice, unpretentious guitars. Got a digital camera? I'd love to see the damage.

You may want to contact Brian Galloup at the Guitar Hospital in Big Rapids, Michigan for repair. Definitely take some photos if you can. All this modern technology like digital photos and email can really help you to get a fairly accurate evaluation without having to leave home. You should also send your photos to Rick Turner for his opinion. Thanks for posting on this forum, Rick!

Archived