Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question for A Computer Whiz - Mac Variety

I'm getting to the financial point where I can replace my G3 with a newer Mac, with its attendant USB and Firewire. I'm aware that Apple will be going to an IBM chip later this year, abandoning the Motorola. My question is, is a processor change like this equivalent turmoil-wise to the change from "classic OS" to "OS X", or is the type of processor pretty much transparent to the software? It took a long time for music-related applications to make the jump from Classic to X (heck, they're still not all there); if its going to be equally difficult to change processors, I may hold off a bit. Sorry about my ignorance on the subject, am sure someone on this Forum can give me some good advice (and, no, I'm not switching to Wintel! :D ).

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Botch.: [b]My question is, is a processor change like this equivalent turmoil-wise to the change from "classic OS" to "OS X", or is the type of processor pretty much transparent to the software?[/b][/quote]This is a deeper question than you'd intended to ask, but to be quick and simple: a. No, the change in OS was drastic due to changes in the UI, native applications and so on. b. However, no one has shown (to me, anyway) how the new IBM chips will address the instruction sets. In other wordds, we don't know how those chips will work with the apps that you're using now. But Apple has no choice. The G4 is maxed out at 1.42GHz, and no amount of cooling via fans is going to enable more overclocking to get higher processing rates at this point. Did that make sense at all? - Jeff

Find yourself a reseller that deals in video editing, because dual-boot Macs will be available through them until june or july. I know this because the company I work for is just such a place. Apple made this concession to video dealers and educational facilities. As much as I'm diggin the prospect of a single 1Ghz or dual 1 Ghz machine, the older dual 867 or single 933 looks just fine to me.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

I guess I was a little ambiguous, I [i]want[/i] to move to OS X; what I don't want is to buy all new applications/interfaces that suddenly won't work with the newest Macs because they have an IBM processor instead of Motorola. My Vision/G3/Layla combo is working just fine, and I'd rather wait until after the IBM chips are introduced and hardware/software interfaces redesigned yet again, if thats what will happen, before I make the leap. Thanks for the replies so far! :)

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Archived