Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

i'm new here, and have some music for you to hear!

gonzo-x

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy double-live Gonzo!

Welcome to the forum! Come on in, kick your shoes off, sit a spell, wait...I'm starting to sound like Jed Clampett...

Will definitely check out your tunage...and in answer to your question, over on Craig Anderton's forum there's a thread called "Is your music any good? Find out here"...it's like 14 pages long. Dave Bryce also has a "Let's Hear It" on the Keyboard Corner forum...

Meantime, tell us a little about yourself...influences, gear, heroes, that kind of thing. By way of introduction, I'm an old geezer (44), grew up listening to The Beatles, etc. learned guitar listening to Duane and Dickey, and Johnny Winter, play mainly for fun...Am Std Strat and Washburn A-20 thru a Marshall TSL122 2x12 combo. I'm sorta mediocre at everything...but I have a heckuva lotta fun!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

hey tedster.......

thanks for picking up on my thread......

We all like guitarists who can play, huh?

man, that charo can play! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

and i really like eric johnson, though his style has become so refined, i don't know if that's a good thing or bad.....

current trends are towards more simpler songwriting, and most good guitarists aren't really allowed a chance to stand out, except in a rhythm role. a few of the more inventive newer players find a way to put there stuff in there, like the guitarists in a perfect circle, and the guano apes. there are lots of good tunes out there with exceptional guitar playing throughout, but NONE of it is on the radio, so don't go there for your inspiration, unless this is your cup of tea.

my old influences were all players who, at the time, for whatever reason, i thought were just exceptional players:

ritchie blackmore, jeff beck, jimmy page, tom sholtz, joe walsh, al di meola, john goodsall, allan holdsworth, eddie van halen, joe satriani, brain may, jimi hendrix......

then other players who were not direct influences, but i really admired their playing were:

keith richards, david gilmore, danny gatton, steve vai, eric clapton, andy summers, frank zappa, alex lifeson, steve morse, mick ronson, pat travers, and roger fisher.

well, gatton can't play anymore, because he blew his brains out.

and that's a drag. he was a monster.

i currently play a 1981 carvin dc-400, all hawaiin koa, with seymor duncan customs in it, and a kahler trem.....

and a custom made strat style guitar, mahagony body, maple top, maple neck, with a glue in custom dimensioned neck and an explorer headstock, with 2 emg's and a lil-59 humbucker......

i'm searching for an acoustic..... hey, it's only money!

my whole thing with the electic vibe is a combination of improvisation and melody, and to use the volume from the amp to interact with the guitar, and tame that interaction with some technique and voodoo......

i like intense full guitar sounds, something that brings out the most expression off of the strings...... kind of like a giant violin, but with some sharper attack in it.....

to me, it's never been about distortion, but about touch sensitivety....... and trying to find a way to bring that out. a perfect example of that sound would be on a song i did, called "michael's house" .........

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/207/trouble1.html

Funny to see that a lot of us have the same influences..maybe not really, 'cause these are the players that are out there, or were out there, doing their thang...

If you're a Danny Gatton fan...scroll down a bit (might be on a different page by now) with a thread with a title like "Sad look at a legend" or something to that effect.

I get a kick out of players that play "in your face blow yer brains out" stuff, but really, the ones that floor me are the ones that play within the "radio rule books"...sneak these little seemingly innocent fills in, and when you try and play it you go "SHIT! How'd they do that?"

To that end...I really like the seemingly innocent guitar stuff in Sister Hazel's new tune (the faster one that kinda reminds me of America's "Sister Golden Hair"). Listen to what's going on in the background. The dude can PLAY...not Yngwie...but the technique is really cool!

You can get to my homepage through my profile...posted at the top of any of my bits of blabbering...

The realaudio links work only when they feel like it...

My stuff is more pop type tunes rather than guitar odysseys...probably bore you to tears. But you're welcome to listen...just take some No-Doz... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Fly!

a very cool tune here, tedster, it reminds me a lot of some of the better qualities of mcartney's wings.

moving harmonies, nice melodies, and a great guitar solo, though i wanted to hear more of that!

recorded into a pc, huh? did you do the vocals one at a time, or submix them down from a mixer? why is this the only tune you've got up? i heard some pops on the mic, and it could stand some mastering, but the song itself is a nice little gem....... any plans to continue with it?

Hey, thanks, Gonzo...

Well, it was one of my first forays into do-it-yourself recording on a PC, so it needs a lot. I'm presently in a real studio http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif trying to clean up some of those tracks and do 'em the right way.

There are other tunes on the site...I have no idea why the realplayer is acting so weird. But...once I get the CD done, I'm going to invest in a bit better website.

Yeah, the solo is short. I didn't really have anything else I wanted to say at the time, y'know...plus, I was kinda going for that Beatles vibe... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Archived