Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Tone with limited space...

MadFor3D

I'm working on recording a new 4 song demo. I have a Japanese 57 Strat Re-Issue, an ART-tube pre-amp, a computer with a Card Delux sound card, and Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.

I'm not very pleased with the reverb in Cakewalk. In case you can't imagine what such a dull basic digital sound this must be... check it out here...

http://www.madfor3d.com/Music/Functionality/ThatGirlGuitarRiff2.mp3

What I am thinking to do is to get a multi-effects processor such as the G-Force, or perhaps something else by Digitech... I want a Rack Mount type unit to spice up my sound as much as possible. Thing is, I live in a really really small apt. so I'm really not wanting to get a full amplifier unit. For space concerns, as well, it seems like a waste as I would only be playing to the headphones anyway.

I've heard people on here say that the POD unit is good for recording. So far, I'm leaning to the G-Force, because I've heard samples of that on the internet. I'm going to go to a music store soon to try some of these things out. Just looking for any preliminary advice from people who've done such things on here.

I like a clean tone... My past experience has been that amps with tubes and reverb springs seem to be the warmest/brightest/most full bodied tones I've gotten. How can I get a nice sound without buying a big amp?

Thanks,

Madrone

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/24/madrone_candea.html

This message has been edited by MadFor3D on 05-23-2001 at 11:57 AM

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I certainly wouldn't throw out a G-force if I found it in my house...

The G-force won't give you any cabinet emulation like a POD, J-station, GNX or any of the other amp simulators. Granted, with a G-force, you may not want it...

Th G-Force and the POD are really two different creatures. If you are looking for effects - then the G-force has alot more to offer, and alot more control. However, if you want a good guitar tone, with most of the basic effects you will need, then the POD is what you want. I have just produced a band where we used the POD for 90 percent of the guitar sounds - and it sounds great. So it can get A-level sounds, you just have to work with it.

Yeah, POD is a great choice.....I know a band who recorded an entire CD in an apartment, using TECH21 Sansamp's, POD's, Roland V drums, etc. And it sounded pretty good. Another option is build a "doghouse" to put a small tube amp in. You can put it up on a bed to keep those lows and mids from being transferred to the floor and cranking the amp to get a great tone. Recording in an apartment is tricky but not impossible. I used every room recently in an old Victorian house in Ghent, to record our band. Bathrooms, kitchen, bedrooms, and the ultimate live room....the living room!!!!!! Personally I like Sansamp overdrive sounds better, but POD sound pretty darn cool as well. I own both.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Hey, thanks for the ideas and the info. I've heard samples of the POD, and the SansAmp thing on the net. Gotta check them out at the guitar store.

...so, what would plugging the output of a SansAmp into a G-Force sound like? Would that "muddy" up the sound to much?

I ordered the sample CD from TC Electronics for the G-Force. Really like those effects. It might prove to be more than I'd ever really use though.

Thanks,

M

Archived