Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you stay motivated?

bruster

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I feel like I'm in a rut with my playing, I like to put different boundaries on what I can and can't do while practicing. It helps me get another perspective of the instrument and can open up a whole new direction of creativity. I might make myself solo only on the b string, or just use bends, or use NO bends, or tweak around in an open tuning, or play a solo that jumps around completely, or stay scaler, or just use half notes,....anything you can think of. Play without your pick. Tune all of your strings to the same note. Play something that is totally unrelated to a key or scale. Play something with no repetative rhythm..etc

I think that putting these restrictions on yourself temporarily lets you become more experimental because you can't depend on what you always do. It's like approaching the instrument for the first time again.

hope this helps. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

~clockwirk~

I agree with the people who are talking about getting out and seeing some great music live. It always works for me. Hanging out with other musicians, not necessarily guitarists, is good for me too.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Originally posted by gtrmac@hotmail.com:

I agree with the people who are talking about getting out and seeing some great music live. It always works for me. Hanging out with other musicians, not necessarily guitarists, is good for me too.

Yep cool, also try changing genres of music an if ya play any other intsrument play that for a bit .... I always find it real useful to go away from the style and instrument for a bit and have a bit of fun playing something else.

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

I've also found that jamming with some players who are better than

you also helps....you get tired of being the last dog and want to be

better...I would go into the motivations of the sixties but there mostly

illegal....keep working and you will improve..

laters

I have to agree with everybody else. There's nothing like getting your ass so blown away by somebody that one of your freinds have to pick your guitar up off the floor and bring it to you the next day!! Don't take me wrong, thats not something to make a habit of at all. Cause you got to take pride in what you do, you gotta enjoy it man. Take it slow and concentrate on all the little things that only u notice yourself doing. Hell, the first thing I ever figured our was that little single note lick at the beggining of the devil inside by INXS. I THOUGHT I WAS THA MAN, until that little incident when my best friend brought me back my guitar one saturday morning!

I'm more interested in how one confines inspiration to just one thing so it can be concentrated in a practical way.... Or is it really practical to try to be doing "jazz fusion", "acoustic new age", "electric blues", and "instrument based drum and bass", and an acoustic jazz society cover-thingy, all at the same time? Because I really don't know, I like doing it all, and I'm getting kind of exhausted.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Albert Lee learns fiddle licks on guitar. I think you can get a lot out of learning other instrument's parts on your guitar.

Another thing that's helpful is just playing along with the radio and learning everything you can, even stuff you hate. Sometimes you can incorperate weird styles into entirely different music that you like.

Well I tell any beginning player, never put your guitar in the case. Buy a stand and leave it there. That way you'll pick it up often and play. Also that guitar is like a security blanket......for me anyway. I might not be able to connect with a room full of complete strangers on my own, but with my guitar I'm like a motivational speaker....CONNECTING! Guitar brought me through alot of things in my life, and it continues to do so.....I realize that some people don't have that connection with their instrument, but I do. I have a neice that has that connection with her piano.....all the stuff that is her life is solved (for her) sitting at that piano, hammering away. Motivation to play guitar is like motivation to work out.....at first it's tough, but after a while it's way fun and becomes part of your life.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Archived