Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

the funkiest guitar on a budget?

bofadeez

Hi guys,

I'm a bass player looking to move to guitar. Primarily I play funk and jazz, and I was wondering what's my best bet for an electric around the $300 mark. Also, do you guys have any recommendations on what kind of amp to look for? Do some brands lend themselves to funky fingerpickin more than others? Thanks y'all,

Ryan

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For that price...hmmm, well, IMHO for funk you just can't beat the sound of a Strat, though I'm sure some will disagree. At that price range you may be able to find a foreign made Fender...or possibly a Squier Strat. If you take your time, you may even be able to come up with a used American Strat. But it's gotta have that Strat thang if you can't get enuff of that funky stuff...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I'll second the Strat thing. You should be able to get a new Mexican strat for around 300-350. I tend to think for that style of music it's easier to get by with a solid state amp.

What do you think about jazzier styles of guitar, like the Gibson 335? On this budget, I guess that would be an Epiphone Dot. What are the advantages of a semi-hollow body, and what are the different sounds? Thanks,

Ryan

Chip the Danalecro answer has me mesmerised. Please expand on that.

Anyhow I would go with the Strat style option. The cheapest-closest thing to a Strat I've heard was a Jaguar (not to be confused with the real Fender Jaguar). I saw one new for 200$ Can. (no shit) and had that unmistakable clean tone associated with Strats. I couldn't believe it myself. I don't know who makes them (or if that's the name of the company) and if they're still around, that was like 4 or 5 years ago.

Emile

With all due respect, please allow me to digress -> this is not about budget guitars, but I was trying to read Artinger's website... Matthew Artinger makes a thinline semi-hollowbody guitar with two soapbars and a violin-like heel (tailpiece) . . . unfortunately, I can't even reach the index page - a 'detect' notifier comes on and says 'oops - we've detected that your display is set at less than 800 x 600' . . .

Long and short of it is, I can't find out about the guitar. Even though my screen resolution is (mostly) at 800 x 600, I was wondering if someone could try and reach the site, and find Artinger's e-mail address for me. It might be a bug with the site, or it might be me, but if you could ...

www.artingerguitar.com

. .. and let me know if you get the same 'oops' page as me, I would appreciate it.

Originally posted by Emile:

Chip the Danalecro answer has me mesmerised. Please expand on that.

Bofadeez: the U2.

It has a number of very defined peaky sounds that are (this is the important part) *differant* than a common Strat set of sounds. Due in part to the lipstick pickups, but also the masonite body, and the funky bridge, AND the way the frets are dressed AND the way the neck fits the body.

The necks are weird; it lends itself to chord fragments because of the string spacing. You turn the dial and get a weird pinched tone. By default you're not going to play any long wailing blues licks, it forces you into a more stuttery stacatto way of playing - funky.

So, it acts like a sieve; it's always pushing you towards more accents, stacatto playing. The peaky nature of the pickups makes quicky stabby accents have a more lasting effect.

As an aside: I'd played these guitars before and never really thought about them in that context. Curiously, I found myself jamming on one with a friend who plays guitar with A Very Famous and Well Known Extreamly Soulful and Soopa Bad person, on some funky stuff, and it really killed at it. Not neccessarily a stereotypical sound in a Jimmy Nolan sense, but like I said it forces you easily into a funky vibe and manner because of the way it sounds and feels. Hmm - in a nutshell, it helps remove the "non-funky" possibilities: legato playing, sustained chords (because it "doesn't" sustain). The way it works with pick attack, the ballistics, is probably significant as well; accents in choked sounds can be easily controlled. Try one...

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: ]www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

In my humble opinion, bang for buck....a Mex strat, and a Blues Jr. Does the funk/roots rock/alt-country/blues thing damn well. And the Jr. is plenty loud for small to medium clubs. Used you might get away with both for $400. Another honorable mention would be the imported Gretsch stuff......I have a little Jet Jr. with a P90 that I play slide with....and it is very stable, performs well. Have to replace the pickup with something better, but it's under $200 brand new. I have always found it interesting to see the guys spend thousands of dollars on guitars to play the clubs with. If you were making five bills a night, I could see it....but why thrash a great guitar on the road. For my money, you can buy relatively inexpensive stuff and fix em up to be road warriors. Just my couple of pennies.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

Bofadeez: the U2.

It has a number of very defined peaky sounds that are (this is the important part) *differant* than a common Strat set of sounds. Due in part to the lipstick pickups, but also the masonite body, and the funky bridge, AND the way the frets are dressed AND the way the neck fits the body.

The necks are weird; it lends itself to chord fragments because of the string spacing. You turn the dial and get a weird pinched tone. By default you're not going to play any long wailing blues licks, it forces you into a more stuttery stacatto way of playing - funky.

So, it acts like a sieve; it's always pushing you towards more accents, stacatto playing. The peaky nature of the pickups makes quicky stabby accents have a more lasting effect.

As an aside: I'd played these guitars before and never really thought about them in that context. Curiously, I found myself jamming on one with a friend who plays guitar with A Very Famous and Well Known Extreamly Soulful and Soopa Bad person, on some funky stuff, and it really killed at it. Not neccessarily a stereotypical sound in a Jimmy Nolan sense, but like I said it forces you easily into a funky vibe and manner because of the way it sounds and feels. Hmm - in a nutshell, it helps remove the "non-funky" possibilities: legato playing, sustained chords (because it "doesn't" sustain). The way it works with pick attack, the ballistics, is probably significant as well; accents in choked sounds can be easily controlled. Try one...

Hmm. Fascinating info Chip. I do recall jamming live on one, pretty much just banging away at power chords, and I was indeed impressed by the punchyness it had. (I understand your use of the term balistic here!) It would probably do a fine job for stacato stuff. I just didn't think they were that cheap.

Emile

Steve,

Matt's mail is matt@artingerguitar.com - He's a very talented, very cool young man ......... making killer guitars - the guitar player in the band I play with uses one & it's very fucking sweet, & can rock too, for a semi-hollow body. I've had the chance to record him at my project studio and the axe sings.

Do yourself a favor and check him out

Hope this helps,

Tony

Originally posted by Emile:

I just didn't think they were that cheap.

They make one called a "Mod" that's selling for $150 at MF. Lipstick pickups and funky bridge....

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

ok.....mars music sells a chinese squire for 179.00 ....and as far

as danelectro would go with the innuendo(sp) it is a 3 pickup

with built in effects..how coool...and as far as on the road.....

well...have a mex fender...but still take my old workhorse along

a 77 tele custom.....cause fenders are built ford tough....

the paul stays at home or for only overnighters.....if you buy a cheap

fender you can use the money to redo everything under the pick

guard as long as the neck feels good.......

laters

Okay, what about effects pedals? Obviously a good wah is essential to funk--which are the best auto-wahs, and which are the best pedals? I'm looking for sounds like, say, Soulive guitarist Eric Krasno or Galactic guitarist Jeff Raines. What about flangers, chorus, envelope filters, etc?

Thanks.

I have a Vox Reissue wah which sounds good but I would love to get one of those Real McCoy wah's. They have a very convincing website and I would love to check one out. They probably cost as much as a Mex Strat though. Maybe something like a Boss multieffect pedal would give you all the other sounds you're looking for.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

• 2 weeks later...
If you're still interested in a ES-335 style semi-hollow body you might want to check out Jay Turser, either the JT135 or 134DC. I'm pretty close to picking up a 134DC myself. www.juayturser.com. Aslin Dane also has a similar model in your price range.

Keep in mind that Mexican Strats are actually made in America. They're only assembled in Mexico. Best bang-for-the-buck guitar on the market except for maybe Washburn.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

I'd be careful about that idea. I'm pretty sure that those parts are made outside the US and then assembled in Mexico. The only facility Fender has for US manufacturing is in Corona, CA and that's all Custom Shop stuff. I've seen the facility awhile back. Most guitars are built in the same five or six factories overseas and distributed to US companies.
overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

Originally posted by dougsthang':

I'd be careful about that idea. I'm pretty sure that those parts are made outside the US and then assembled in Mexico. The only facility Fender has for US manufacturing is in Corona, CA and that's all Custom Shop stuff. I've seen the facility awhile back. Most guitars are built in the same five or six factories overseas and distributed to US companies.

Is that your final answer?

I'm sorry. While you are correct that the Custom Shop is in Corona, Fender produces all its American-made models in Corona as well. The only other levels are Squire (licensed in Asia) and Made in Mexico. The made in Mexico have some work done in Corona. I believe that the bodies and necks are made there but I am not sure. The painting is done in Ensendada, Baja California. I am not sure how much assembly is done there and here.

Like all Fender guitars, I recommend playing as many as you can. The best way of choosing one or any guitar for that matter is playing them. Each guitar is unique because wood is unique.

Many players like light guitars but I think I prefer a little meat behind my axe.

This message has been edited by Sir Bob on 06-01-2001 at 01:10 AM

Originally posted by tehuti:

If you're still interested in a ES-335 style semi-hollow body you might want to check out Jay Turser, either the JT135 or 134DC. I'm pretty close to picking up a 134DC myself. www.juayturser.com. Aslin Dane also has a similar model in your price range.

Thanks man! I was lookin at a Hamer Echotone, but the Jay Turser is now the one I'm thinkin bout... also, could someone let me know what sounds I WON'T be able to get with a semi-hollow body (335-style), that I would be able to with a strat? and vice versa? thanks alot,

Ryan

Originally posted by dougsthang':

The only facility Fender has for US manufacturing is in Corona, CA and that's all Custom Shop stuff

The Corona factory makes the "California" series guitars.

... I'd probably prefer a hand picked Mexican strat over the average California strat. YMMV.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

You are correct Sir Bob, When I got to tour the facility I was kinda shocked how "old school" it was. Ernie Ball's factory was much more together.

Your assement of trying as many guitars out as possible is right on the money. Back in my retail days I was fortunate enough to be able to play all of our Strats finding the best neck then matching it with the body. If you have a good friend at a large store, they might let you do this. The serial numbers are on the back neck plate so switching a neck won't mess with inventory (as long as you switch a rosewood for a rosewood)

Just a thought

overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

Glad to be of help. Let me know if you get the JT and tell me how you like it. It will be a few months bfore I get mine, but right now it's my number one choice.

Originally posted by bofadeez:

Thanks man! I was lookin at a Hamer Echotone, but the Jay Turser is now the one I'm thinkin bout... also, could someone let me know what sounds I WON'T be able to get with a semi-hollow body (335-style), that I would be able to with a strat? and vice versa? thanks alot,

Ryan

Archived