Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

recording idea

rosespappy

Bonjour mes amies! (Rose here) I was just experimenting with a new song I wrote, & recorded my ideas on our digital Fostex. The music in the background was just a cheap keyboard with string effects. Just playing around, I found that even a cheap keyboard can sound real if you add at least one string instrument. Slow strings filled in the empty spaces, reg. strings pulsed with the beat (kind of like Eleanor Rigby) This sounded good, but not alive yet. When I added my viola to it, the difference was night and day. The viola and keyboard orchestra actually complement eachother! I panned the pulsing strings to the left, the sl.strings towards the right & the viola (with quite a bit of reverb) to the right. I'm really excited to work on this song now cause the keyboard can actually sound cool. (I usually laugh at keyboard effects because I've played viola for 10 years & know the authentic orchestra sound) If you can lay a few keyboard tracks down & find someone who can add some real live string action, you've got an orchestra goin on! Talk lata~~Rose

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rose~

Sounds like a great idea. There are probably some guys over in the studio forums who might be interested in that. Definitely cheaper than renting an entire orchestra. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

I personally kind of like a good cheesy keyboard sound. Especially if the band/artist is not trying to make you think that it's the real thing. Like on Radioheads song "Exit Music for a Film" there's this obviously fake keyboard vocal pad during part of the song that's so bad it's cool. It's also fun to see what kind of crappy (in a good way) sounds you can get out of a cheap effects box. Beck (not Jeff) is a master at this.

Some day I'm going to record a guitar part on a pawn shop guitar with a warped neck through a DOD distortion pedal into a solid state amp from sears, recorded by a microphone on a cassette tape recorder. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

~clockwirk~

Excellent, Rose!!

I used to lay tracks all the time w/my Casio 390. (extra cheese!)

Unfortunatly, I am not a string player, so I would double the keyboard track with 1 or 2 tracks of Ebow. With the right effects, it sounded fine as wine!

Happy Happy...

Steve

Hey Rose

So you play the viola huh? That is one purrrfect instrument, I just love the tone. I have been doing a project over here in the UK with a truly talented Rumanian Viola player who has just one of the most fabulous touches I have ever heard.... He plays principal for one of the

big orchestras here... leaves me for dead on the guitar... but hell I love him anyways!!

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Hey Rose,

It's easy to register here....Ha! But two ideas crossed my mind when I heard the tune. 1)Me thinks the panning of the bass tones on one side, and the violins doing the rythm on the other, with the viola live and in the middle did the trick.2) I spent tons of money for vocal mics. How in the world did you get a sm57 to sound like you were singin it from behind me?

And these guys are the right guys to ask about REC. How bout it fellas and gals? Anybody hear good/ bad about Recording Workshop in Chillicothe, Ohio?

The other rosespappy...

Archived