Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Essential country listening

Mile

I'm interested in country music (I'd like to be more familiar with it). In one of threads you were mentioning some country guitar players. So, I was wondering what artists should I listen to and on what albums can I hear some names like Albert Lee and Chat Atkins??? Or any other that you think is good (like Marty Stuart)...
If it sounds god, just play the darn thing

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Emmylou Harris..."Luxury Liner"...title cut (but the whole album)...Albert Lee does a solo in that song that literally would knock the train off it's tracks. Also, Emmylou "Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town"...just 'cause she sings so damned pretty. (I have a serious crush on Emmylou, and I don't give a damn if her hair is gray now).

There were some CDs out where Merle Haggard did the music of Bob Wills. That's a great one. Merle had another great tribute CD.

I'll step aside and let someone else have a turn now.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I second that about Luxury Liner.....excellent. Don't rule out some of her other stuff too, especially the bluegrass album with Ricky Skaggs, can't remember the name. George Jones...The Race is ON......sublime. Marty Stuart's Hillbilly Rock album, Dwight Yoakam's Guitars, Cadillacs album, Merle Haggard's Muskogee album, Jerry Jeff Walker's Viva Terlinga (spelling?), BR549's Live album, Buck Owen's.....early stuff, any of the early recordings of Eddy Arnold, Merle Travis, Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Ernest Tubb, Lefty Frizzell, Johnny Cash Sun records......man I can't think of them all. Forget current country radio......it's way too slick and predictable. If you're into Alternative Country, there's Lucinda Williams, Son Volt, Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, Blue Mountain, Beatfarmers, Southern Culture on the Skids, Mojo Nixon, The Blasters, Reverend Horton Heat, Jason and the Scorchers, The Bottlerockets, Steve Earle.....again I can't think of them all.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

hank williams. learn 'em all. every one is a classic. and they translate well to any style of music.

merle haggard. learn the early hits.

that'll give you one quick cram course. but to really feel it, make sure that your dog dies, your girl leaves you and your truck won't start!

-d gauss

Or, play a country song backwards...your truck starts up, your girl comes back, and your dog is miraculously resurrected...not to mention you sober up...

Some great selections here.

Some other stuff to check out...Jerry Jeff Walker, David Allen Coe (Coe gets pretty raunchy sometimes, so be careful if you've got kids around). Another one of my all time favorites is Don Williams. (now, here I'm not really talking "guitar" stuff necessarily, just cool songwriting). The Don Williams tunes written by Bob McDill are great. For clear as a mountain stream harmony, get Dolly, Linda, and Emmylou's CD. Those three could sing me to sleep any day of the week.. (and then stay awhile just to make sure I'm sleeping, y'know...nudge nudge...) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Country radio and CMT have a few good contemporary artists but there are too many cross-over types (Faith Hill, Shania Twain) to ruin it. Some of the male singers are too hokey (Tim McGraw) for my taste also.

I think the Dixie Chicks are great. The music sounds country, very alive. The songs and production are great. The musicianship (a hallmark of Nashville) is great. Natalie Mains is an authentic singer.

I agree that Dwight Yokum is solid. Trisha Yearwood's latest Real Live Woman is a strong country album while her earlier one was not. I wish Rosanne Cash would record again. Emilou Harris still puts out good music.

Merle Haggard and Johnny Cash are the real deal. Hank Williams invented country music.

Bottom line is that country is like any other area. Some are great and some suck and most of it falls in the middle.

This message has been edited by Sir Bob on 05-05-2001 at 01:59 AM

Thanks, guys...

I'll try to get hold on those, though I live in Europe and in my country there's little or no country at all http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif IMHO, Shania Twain have some nice guitar fills on "Woman In Me"...

If it sounds god, just play the darn thing

Check some Dave Edmunds albums. Find the song 'Sweet Little Lisa' which has my fav Albert screaming rockabilly solo. Also the CD; "D E7 Edmunds" has two cuts with Albert solos. To my knowledge, the Albert albums aren't available on CD. They are titled 'Hiding' and 'Albert Lee' if you want to search for them. Both excellant with great guest appearances by Ricky Skaggs on fiddle and mandolin, Emme Lou and Don Everly sing a lot of the backups (I'm thinkin Vince Gill sings backup too). His third album 'Speechless' is all instrumental and I don't like it as well since he's got an amazing singing voice.

Any of the Emme Lou 'hot band' albums feature Albert on lead. Luxury Liner is excellant and find the one with the song; 'Sister's coming home' on it. I believe Albert did some lead on some Rosanne Cash songs too.

I'd also be interested in some Chet recordings to check.

cool thread...

davecharles@musician.net

So glad to hear "Luxury Liner" mentioned so many times because it is in my top 3 country records - the other two being the late great Gram Parsons' two solo albums, "GP" and "Grievous Angel". They have both been released on one CD now so do not pass up the opportunity to hear them both for the price of 1!

--Lee

A great place to pickup some wonderful songs featuring Chet Atkins is an album he recorded in the early 1990's with Suzy Bogguss called Simpatico Alas, the last time I saw Chet he could barely walk. I don't know if he's recovered in the last year and a half, but if he plays anywhere near you, DON'T MISS IT.

Several of you have mentioned Hank Williams. You know you're talking about Hank Sr., not Jr. or Hank III. Jr. actually had more hits, and III is a fine player, but it's Hank Sr. who practically invented country music as we know it. We have a 2 cd set with just about everything he recorded in his short life. Don't know the exact title, but the cover is bright yellow.

Ricky Skaggs recorded a fine version of Lee's Country Boy. You won't believe how fast the acoustic guitar licks pass you by. If you want to hear great bluegrass pickin', check out Blue Ribbon Guitar Mark O'Connor, known for his fiddle playing, won the national flatpicking championships with Blackberry Blossom which is on this CD. Doc Watson and son, along with Norman Blake and others round out this great compilation. Anything by Tony Rice or New Grass Revival will blow your mind. The great thing about most Bluegrass players is that you can feel the playing. These guys play fast, but never lose the feel, as many (I have to put that in italics so no one flames me for saying all speedy electric players have no feel!) electric superspeed players do.

There's plenty more out there. Oh, don't forget Alan Jackson and Asleep at the Wheel. The sham that is the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame passed on Ray Benson of Asleep at the Wheel help induct Bob Wills into the HoF. Not only is Ray a fantastic musician and vocalist, he's brought more attention to Bob Wills music than anyone since.. Bob Wills himself. Texas Swing or not, it shares a lot of common ground, musically, with old country music.

Neil

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived