Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to archive music files and make CDs

LiveMusic

I got a problem. 4GB hard drive on the laptop; running out of space. I have 2GB of MP3 files. And a boatload of CDs and vinyl albums. I'd like to put all of the music in one place. And I'd like to have more room for general stuff for my work (on my laptop). I could buy another hard drive, increasing it by 2Gb, but that's $200. I could buy a 20GB portable hard drive thingy for $200. Ten times more, although it is the hassle of not being internal. Then again, I could buy a CD burner. Any ideas on the latest in this area? Do I need anything more than a CD burner?

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LiveMusic:

I got a problem. 4GB hard drive on the laptop; running out of space. I have 2GB of MP3 files. And a boatload of CDs and vinyl albums. I'd like to put all of the music in one place. And I'd like to have more room for general stuff for my work (on my laptop). I could buy another hard drive, increasing it by 2Gb, but that's $200. I could buy a 20GB portable hard drive thingy for $200. Ten times more, although it is the hassle of not being internal. Then again, I could buy a CD burner. Any ideas on the latest in this area? Do I need anything more than a CD burner?

Duke,

A CD burner gives you more options. You should be able to get a reasonably fast external one for around $250. Each CD holds around 600MB so you'll have virtually unlimited storage. Just remember to finish that Access database so you'll know where everything is!

I like to research products using www.cnet.com, they have user reviews, links including prices to on-line sellers, and more...

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Duke, there are plenty of external burners out there. The key is what type of interface does your laptop have.

USB

FireWire

SCSI

If your rig doesn't have one of these interfaces you are going to have a hard time finding a burner. I think you could get a serial to USB converter, but I don't know if the data flow would be fast enough to burn CD's.

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Archived