Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amp-based effects-like, why?

Skip_dup1

I have yet to hear amp-based effects that I think don`t sound like crap. I would much rather have amp makers leave the effects to outboard gear and just have them concentrate on the best sound possible-or charge less money.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm pretty much a guy who likes an onboard reverb (I'd like an onboard tremolo, but I don't play through a Fender) and that's about it. Haven't used too many. Actually, though, the Roland Jazz Chorus has about the best sounding chorus I've ever heard. Can't say a whole lot about the newer modeling amps. Haven't used 'em enough.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

This is rather similar to the multi-effect vs single stomp box argument. The bottom line is the beginners market. Think about it; who really buys all of this stuff out there? The true pro, while having more money to spend on things (maybe) and able to take a tax break, 1) already knows what they like/need; 2) have to be very concerned with getting their money's worth out of a new purchase; and 3) have to be able to haul all the crap around. Now, you might have some die-hard collectors out there, but I would guess your professional level musician is a pretty conservative shopper.

Now let's look at the begginer and intermediate level players. They are very experimental. They don't know what their sound is going to be so they are most often affected by GAS. However, they don't have $2000 sitting around to spend on a dedicated rack-mounted compressor unit. So, in order to get more bang for the buck, they (and I'm in this group before I start sounding too above it all) tend to look at units that will do more for less money.

When you realize this, and realize there are way more people in the second group I describe than the first, gear manufacturers will be crazy if they don't appeal to the we-want-everything-including-a-potato-peeler in one unit crowd.

Or the short version of my reply: supply and demand. It's that simple.

Take care,

Glenn

Well, after years of different settings and multi FX units I settled with Boss FX-700. But (there are always buts) I recently bought Flexton II!!!

This little 1x12" has some useful effects (not to mention wah-wah). So I don't have that "multi FX or no FX at all" attitude... Check it out for your self.

If it sounds god, just play the darn thing

I like amps that have good spring reverbs because that's something you're never going to find in an outboard processor.

I love analog stompboxes, so having onboard effects doesn't matter to me. I don't think they raise the price of amps by very much.

Some of the Marshalls have good stereo chorus effects, and the Roland amps definitely do. Especially the JC-120 Jazz Chorus.

I have to agree on the Jazz Chorus-a definite exception.

For me, one or two mininmal amp-based things, like reverb and chorus, are plenty. For anything else I have an ART SGX-2000 with the upgrade chip.

Two expression pedals with assignable parameters, and I`m set for most applications. I would say that is midway between the single stomp box crowd and the dedicated, single-effect rackmount units-can`t afford those, myself. But amp makers are loading more and more effects into new amps, especially the sound-modeling types. But you still need outboard controllers. I just think it`s unnecessary, though I can`t say exactly how much cheaper a particular amp would be without it. As a side note, IMO the stomp box approach does offer some advantages. I think all the interconnect points means more chances for something to crap out, or for noise problems. It`s always possible to conect one or two of those to an integrated unit or amp, via the effects loop.

Archived