Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Session Work................Yikes!!!

aframe9999

I just met a guy and in the course of conversation learned he produces records and he found out that I was a guitar player. He said he is working on a project and is looking for a guitar player to do some work for him. He said he is interested in talking to me.

Ok, Great. Here's the deal.

I've never done any session work for anybody else. I've done lots of stuff for myself in my project studio, and I've recorded my band's demo in a 'real' studio. So I do have some studio experience. I'm not a virtuoso by any stretch, but I'm confident in my ears and my chops.

How does the whole thing work? I don't have an audition demo. (I have some things from my project stuff and of course the band's demo)

1. What do they want to hear as far as demos?

2. How does the pay work? I'm not a member of any union. I would be willing to give the guy a deal since I have no session experience.

3. Do I need a contract? If so, What goes on it?

4. Is there anything else I need to know or watch out for?

Thanks for your help!!

------------------

Andrew

My Band:

http://www.encoreentertainment.net/rockcandy.htm

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andrew,

It really varies a lot what is expected of a session player. Did you find out what style(s) of music the guy needs you to work on? If you know that and you have some demos from your project studio that illustrate what you can do in those genres, that should be good enough as a demo.

Also, are you a very versatile player - can you play a lot of different styles? If you are not, if you specialize in one or two styles, don't try to hide the fact. BE HONEST. Sell yourself as who you are. Lots of session players have made their living by being able to fill a particular niche better than anybody else. If you're mainly a rock player and they want a traditional jazz guitarist on this particular session, let him know right away that it's not really the style you specialize in. He'll respect you a lot more (and be more likely to call you again next time) if you don't try to prove you can play jazz and he finds out at the session that you're only mediocre at it.

You don't need to be a member of a musicians' union to play sessions unless the specific gig is legally bound to use only union players. If that is the case, you'll have to weigh the cost of what you think your potential income might be against the cost of dues and such. There are plenty of non-union sessions out there.

You don't necessarily need a formal contract drawn up by a lawyer, but what I would do is make a verbal agreement and then write up an informal letter stating what you've agreed to. There should be a finite amount of time you're agreeing to for the money, and he should pay you before you leave the studio when the job is done or else make a firm commitment in writing as to when you will be paid.

On the other hand, I've often found that it "pays" not to put too fine a point on your first experience with somebody. If you're trying to get a foot in the door as a session player, you may put someone off if you start demanding written agreements right off the bat. You might argue "Yeah, but I might get ripped off, I have to protect myself". But on the other hand, if you do get ripped off you haven't lost much, but you've gained a credit on your resume and you've also learned that this guy is not trustworthy. If you let him take the lead as far as how he works out the agreement with you, and he honors the agreement on a handshake, you'll be well on your way to a good relationship. So, in my experience, it's good to be as easygoing as possible when you're starting out, and take a few risks. When you're in demand then you can start getting nasty about money. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

--Lee

Find the authors motive. Spend time with them,hear them,hear them, hear them. Close your eyes and play them. If you play for people you like, the money will almost(almost) always be a secondary consideration.

Rick

A Frame--

Many players are under the misconception that you have to have a laundry list of experience to start doing sessions. This is false.

A majority of the time you start doing sessions with friends and they start telling thier friends and so on. Like the hair commercial. Its really all word of mouth at least in my experience. A couple of producers came to see me play at the Mint one night and approached me after the show. I was working with them the next week. I did'nt send them my reel or a demo (I have both just in case). I just showed up with a couple of amps and a POD and got to work. There really is no such thing as a job interview for session work. The work usually has to come to you by way of the amount of exposure you have.

Keep in mind every session musician has a different story of how it all started for them. The biggest things to remember are:

1) Have a great attitude - if you don't dig the material but are getting paid put your best foot forward. Your reputation as a respectfull and unbiased musician will come in very handy.

2) Keep your listening skills, chops and vocabulary up as much as you can.

Nothing can take the place of time behind the instrument. Reading music is not as important in my experience than being able to grap the vibe of the music you are playing on in the first pass or two / Then coming up with a part that fits the bill. I have rarely been asked to read.

3) Be versitile - not just with the guitar but with music in general. If someone has an idea sparked from a guitarist you have never heard of. Its harder to grasp the concept.

4) Be flexible- the money on each gig will be diferent. JUST KEEP IN MIND WHAT YOUR BOTTOM DOLLAR is and go from there. There are no set rules in session work if you are not Union. Never work for free if this your profession or you want it to be. Atleast make a trade for the other persons time if you are not getting Paid in cash.

The longer you do sessions - the more of them you get and the more you get paid..

Remember this is just my experience. Best of luck!!

BK

Archived