Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's you guilty pleasure?

Scott from MA

Fores Requiem... what a killer bit of classical music. I was listening to it this morning whilst eating my breakfast in bed. A cool classical composer imho doesn't clutter everything up with hundreds of melodies and counter melodies just lets it flow.... real nice for a change.

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

• 4 years later...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy $4!t, YOU CAN??!!??

Where is it, where's the spy-cam?

Or is it that you can see through the blinds there... yeeah, that must be it!!

I'm closin' the curtains.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Tedster,

Loved your list - nothing to feel guilty abut there. I grew up in the 60's listening to AM Top 40 radio (WABC with Cousin Brucie, Dan Ingram, Harry Harrison, et al).

For me the stuff that came out between 1965 and 1969 is the best ever! The early 70's were good too, but I lost it when Disco started creeping in.

Dennis

I keep this to myself usually, but Rod Stewart's album Footloose and Fancy Free is somewhere in my top ten.

And I love Stranger On the Shore by Acker Bilk, even bought a best of CD so I can learn a guitar version.

And today I bought some bargain bin CD's: early pre-Jeff Beck Rod Stewart stuff, very good actually, and also The best of Edwin Starr (turned out to be 90's remakes of past hits, but still great), which includes the classic Ain't Gonna Bump No More (With No Big fat Woman)

Originally posted by Philemec:

And I love Stranger On the Shore by Acker Bilk, even bought a best of CD so I can learn a guitar version.

Ever hear Bert Kaemphert's "Wonderland By Night"? Trumpet solo with big band backup and, amzingly enough, some choral vocals(all ooh and ahhs)? It was popular about the same time as "Stranger On The Shore"(which I don't feel even a little bit guilty about liking). Ever get into any Benny Goodman?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Wow, there are so many! I must admit I like Maria Carey's "Fantasy", and Will Smith's "Summertime". I can't agree on the kd Lang thing though, I'm a proud kd Lang fan. I LOVE kd Lang, and this is comming from someone who was into Slayer, Megadeth, Alice in Chains,...etc before I discoverd her. She is the best female singer of our time and her songwriting is totally original.

A buddy of mine was looking through my CD's one time and he noticed I had the BeeGees and ABBA's greatests hits.

Him:"WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?!"

Me:"Those belong to my sister. I don't know how they got in there."

He wasn't convinced.

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

From Picker: Ever get into any Benny Goodman?

Actually, I like him a lot. My mando teacher is showing me some swing music, and so I check out the major artists. He was a superb musician, and I really like the small group stuff. And he made a major contribution by appearing on stage with black musician in a day when that was highly controversial!

The clarinet is one of the few instruments that's great for both jazz and classical, IMHO. And it does sound nice in pop music too, for certain tunes.

It's funny to see LRB and ABBA popping up in this thread, since I enjoy both of them at age 29.

I have an older friend who doesn't share my enthusiasm for the occasional Eagles song or LRB hit. He tells me the stories of how they were overplayed on the radio in his day, and he got sick of them. Of course, I have the benefit of hearing this music without that specter hanging over me.

Everything old is new again...

Darren Landrum

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

My mando teacher is showing me some swing music, and so I check out the major artists.

Have you heard any of Jethro Burns' stuff on mandolin? Mondo mando, man.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived