Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

dragged,kickin&screamin...

stanner

into the world of amp emulation ,modeling or what ever its called, bein a guy i was compelled by market forces to buy a and tried to see what all the hubbahubba is about and i came out the other end sorely disapointed!(it went back) none of these digital thangs that are s'posed to conjur up old amps and stuff just aint workin,as far as i'm concerned. my biggest problem is to make them have *any* cajones or soul!! it just aint there-and for all the "pod people" out there, if you can hear and feel anything that is similar in feel and true sound to a good old fashion tube amp bein pushed,then good on ya.but for me there's nothin like it in the world.

stanner(tube guy)

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by stanner:

into the world of amp emulation ,modeling or what ever its called, bein a guy i was compelled by market forces to buy a and tried to see what all the hubbahubba is about and i came out the other end sorely disapointed!(it went back) none of

Ironically - the Cybertwin is effectively a series of different preamp and tone control circuits that can be programmed - it's not modelling.

I played through one a few weeks ago: vaguely sounds like the front ends of various amps, but the output is a bit harsh and there's no low end response. It's also pretty obvious the output section is solid state.

I asked the Fender Dood if they were going to put it in a rack-pre setup (which would be cool) or in a tube amp - "no, it would cost too much". So instead it's just kind of "ok".

I'd rather just have a nice reissue Deluxe, or a Voodoo Valve if I wanted to get a bunch of different tones for a cover band for instance... if I wasn't a picky bozo I'd use a Line6 combo.

Some of the things you can do with the remote pedal is pretty cool. The delay emulations are nice. The Cybertwin would be cool as a preamp, if they warmed up the output a bit and could keep it one rack space and under $800 - which I think they could do. Oh well.

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Stanner,

It's going to be interesting to see if this post ignites folks the way it would on the recording forums. Digital gear, however carefully designed and specific in intent, will never be capable of giving a chunky natural distortion. There's no headroom. No place for the signal to go but off into box o glass land. There are however, some great acoustic amps out there , completely solid state. But like I said, they are not designed to be overdriven. For my work, they're great. They're bullet proof and reliable as my old Rambler convertable! But, ya don't catch me playin' Hells' Bells on my Yairi either.

Archived