Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Multi Effects processor Vs. Seperate effects pedals

stationguitarist

Yes, its the age old question. . . Whats better a mulit effects unit such as an Rp-7 or individual pedals made by Boss, DOD, Danelectro, etc.

I use a Tec-4, Marshall Shred Master, Vox Wah, and Morley Volume pedal. I was just wondering if i can possibly get better, realistic sounding tones from seperate peadals, or just an easy to use interface.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO there is no best answer.

However, the situation that you will be using the gear in can help lead the way.

For my live rig. I use a rack with a footswitch. This approach gives me 127 pre-programmed sounds available instantly with with a tap on the foot controller. This method gives you a very wide tonal variety,and instant access to sounds which is great in a live situation.

For recording my preferred sinal path is:

*******GUITAR>>>CHORD>>>>AMP...*********

Just go for the best "IN YOUR FACE" tone you can get, mic the cab and add any processing durring the mix down. Sometimes I put a little compression on distorted sounds just to make it feel right when I play. But I try to keep that to a bare minimum. If you add delay, reverb or chorus when you record the part, it can't be removed later if you don't like it.

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Most of the live rigs I run into, here in Nashville, are individual pedal rigs. This isn't just country. I mix a lot of rock and roll and jazz and very few people rely on multieffects. Nothing wrong with them, but these guys apparently like the sound, and like the tactile surface to adjust. (Read: Knobs and individual readouts where applicable.) But if you find a multieffect you like, it affords great convenience. Whole setup changes at the touch of a button. Another consideration... do you want your sound to change that drastically from song to song, or even within songs. You'll definately have more continuity with pedals, as you can only change a little at any given moment. When it comes to recording, if you don't have a really cool guitar/amp/mic setup, newer multieffects ROCK. The POD and other modeling multieffect boxes sound pretty good, for what they are. And most modelers have real amp-like knobs for tweaking, so you don't end up drowning in unknown parameter changes. There's a pretty good reason many pro engineers with Pro Tools recording systems use Amp Farm, which is essentially POD in a plug-in.

You need to decide what your priorities are. If you decide to go pedals, put the best cable you can get between 'em. George L's would be my suggestion.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Of course, single effects units. The multieffects pedals are fun, but impractical and unsatisfying. There might be two or three settings I like, but wouldn't want to use all the time, just some great noise to color with...that's about it. I've heard some good delay's on some, and the auto swell that POD has is cool. Overdrive/Distortion is another thing altogether, and I suspect that pedals will be around a very long time, and to me sounds best, simpler the better ie Tube amp front ended with a hot overdrive pedal. The two coolest multi-effects I have are the POD and my Roland GR-1. But I "normally" never use them live.....just use em for recording or special projects.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I have a large collection of pedals and multi units. It's pretty odd when you find out that I play 90% just straight to amp. I'm a gear junkie and will just have to live with it. The trick to this question is what you are after.

The multi units provide a wide range of sounds for a lower price than you could pull off with just pedals. However, most everyone finds that just a few of the sounds are great, some are ok, and they think the rest stink. I still think they are a great place for beginners to look who are still trying to find their sound.

The single boxes will cost a lot to put together a wide range of sounds. However, you get to pick and choose just the boxes that sound good to you and do what you want. If you have already established your sound and are just enhancing or adding some voicings, the individual pedals will give you better service. The key to making individual pedals work for you over the long run: 1) do not skimp on the connections, get the best; 2) buy or build some system for mounting and transporting the pedals.

Anyway, there is my ramble on the subject. Hope it helps.

Glenn

Archived