Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Marshall Stack or P.A. system

stationguitarist

My band is in a dilemma. . . We currently are using a Marshall stack with 2- 4x12 cabinets. I know that vocals shouldnt sound good coming out of it but we are poor. I use a yamaha mixer to run lead and rhtythm guitar along with vocals out of it, but I wonder if a PA system would suit me better.We also use a ton of distortion most of the time and switch to clean every once in a while. The only way to buy a good system is to sell the stack. . .what should i do?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't sell the stack...what are you going to use for guitar?

Well, your dilemma is far from new. I'd guess virtually everyone on this board (maybe some were born with silver spoons in their mouths) has started out poor. Hey, when I was a kid I never had a Marshall stack, so you're one up on me. We had this old beat up Vox column that we'd try to run a mic through. Beg, borrow, steal...whatever it took (well, not steal, but a lot of the other two). Read up on what some of the "famous" folks have started out with.

You've got a Yamaha mixer, right? Powered or unpowered? You might want to sell one of the cabs, probably the straight cab, and see what you can do PA speaker wise.

My advice would be...if you can do it without selling anything, do it. You'll only regret selling stuff later. Make sure everyone in the band is pulling their load, but don't split costs between members. Have everyone buy an individual piece, so that when the band breaks up you won't be "Well, I want my half of that cabinet"...

And how, may that be, if you're poor? Only buy enough gear to rehearse with. You don't need a full PA for rehearsal. We use very minimal gear for rehearsal. Then borrow or rent stuff for gigs. Put all of your gig money toward your own gear. No beer. No breakfast after the gig. You're on a mission. A few gigs and it'll start piling up.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I AGREE WITH TEDSTER.

DONT SELL WHAT YOU DONT HAVE TO!! YOU WILL NEVER BACK WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT (USUALLY). AND YOU WILL KICK YOURSELF LATER. I DID!!

IF THE BOARD IS POWERED, BORROW OR RENT SOME SPEAKERS FOR A WHILE. IF NOT, BUY THE POWER AMP- DONT BLOW UP A FRIENDS, AND RENT/BORROW THE SPEAKERS.

BUILD SLOW, AND DO NOT SELL.

Archived