Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dumble Overdrive Special

Ian Stewart Cairns

Does anyone on the forum own a Dumble Overdrive Special? Or has anyone played through one? I am wearily beginning to draw the conclusion that my quest for tone won't be complete until I have tried one of these beautiful (and hugely expensive) instruments.

Each time I hear Robben Ford's guitar tone, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. His overdrive sound is a kaleidoscope of coruscating contradictions. 3-dimensional yet focused; pure, yet dirty; Hi-fi, yet lo-fi; tasteful, yet seemingly unrestrained.

Yes I know the player is the defining variable amongst all the technology, but nevertheless I can attest to having heard Robben live and on record through other amps (including Marshalls, Fenders and Boogies) and THAT one-of-a-kind tone just isnt there.

Anyway, I would love to read (with envy) of any experiences any of you have had with the elusive Dumble OD Special.

TIA,

Ian

This message has been edited by Ian Stewart Cairns on 04-04-2001 at 11:29 AM

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Ian Stewart Cairns:

Does anyone on the forum own a Dumble Overdrive Special? Or has anyone played through one? I am wearily beginning to draw the conclusion that my quest for tone won't be complete until I have tried one of these beautiful (and hugely expensive) instruments.

I'm embarrassed to say I never have. Having played through basically everything else, I'm inclined to not believe the hype... although I like Ford's tone, and Eric Johnson's with it - I dunno if I can say that justifies a $20,000 amplifier.

I'm more curious as to what it *feels* like when playing through it, because I suspect there's more "magic" in it's touch response than it's actual tonal characteristics.

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Ian,

You probably saw the reviews on Harmony Central on this amp. If not, check them out... there's a couple of guys who have an e-mail contact... maybe they can give you some first hand advice... or even be a lead source on getting one.

Because of both the limited production and high profile Dumble amps have gotten because of their use by SRV, EJ, R Ford, and others... I don't know how many amps are going to be available or many people that have actually played one. I remember E Johnson saying in an article that there was quite a difference between various Dumbles he played because they were made to order and therefore had different sound charactoristics.

This makes it harder to get a particular "Robbin Ford sound" you like, since just buying another Dumble doesn't guarantee you're going to get one that's voiced like his was.

I noticed that one reviewer on HC said he used it in a studio, and it was owned by the studio... I wonder if you contacted the studio where Robin recorded the music you liked, whether they were the ones who actually had the amp in question... maybe you could arrange to play it on a recording or your own, or perhaps with the appropriate small fortune, actually get them to part with it...

You might also try some of the studio's in your area and see if you get lucky.

One last thought, although this may not give you the sonic nirvana you're seeking, Line 6 did model a Dumble Overdrive Special and uses it in their POD. I can't say it's my favorite model... (I like the Budda TwinMaster personally), but it might be an inexpensive starting point to finding your sound. Plus... it's got all the other models as well.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

hey, i was just over at and they got a story of r.fords road rigs and he talks about the ;dumble, and what he uses in place of it and to my surprise he mentions 'the twin' red-knob fender twin that i know and love,w/ its beautiful clean channel and the most beefy,girthy(?) 2nd channel that can be blended and'or stacked w/ channel 1. robben ford calls it the best overdrive ever made.whoa...!!
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Everyone, thanks for responding.

Chip: Is the Dumble worth $20,000? This is too difficult a question to even begin answering on this forum (split infinitives or nay). Your seemingly straightforward question supports too many suppressed premises for me to unravel at this time. However, you and everone else will no doubt be excited to hear about my upcoming The Complete Idiots Blueprint for a Perfect Society for Dummies In it I address and resolve all of these thorny issues and more. ;-)

Neatly sidestepping that bramble thicket... I suspect you are wise not assign undue weight to any hyperbole that surrounds Dumble amplifiers. I also imagine with you that the experience of playing a Dumble is as much a part of its allure as the sound it helps you create. I had a discussion about this with Aspen Pittman (of Groove Tubes fame) many years ago. He told me that he had long concluded that the main distinguishing characteristic of a good tube amp, as opposed to a good transistor amp, was not the sound, but the feel. My own pet theory is that this feel of which he speaks, has something to do with the greater dynamic range of tube amps, even on similar sounding clean settings.

Guitplayer: Thanks for the advice. I have indeed read the HC reviews and found them interesting. I am well aware that just getting an OD Special is no guarantee of Robben Fords tone. In any case I am not interested in merely cloning Fords sound; I am probably chasing after an imagined Holy Grail (coconut shells in hand).

I have a Pod and I sometimes enjoy using it. I have played around extensively with the OD Special model and do not care for it at all. As with all of the Pods models, the bass response of the OD Special is completely inaccurate. But thats just one of its manifold failings. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the model captures none of the exotic characteristics which so attract me to that Dumble in the first place - like a pin to a magnet. I much prefer the Pod Crunch setting which Line 6 claims was modelled on a rare Dumble combo (although it has the same disastrous, I swear Im going to throw this shrunken down, red fucking tractor seat out of the fucking window bass end as the OD model).

Stanner: Thanks for that. Im afraid that for whatever reasons, I have been unable to access virtualguitar.com. I have seen Robben play with the Red knob twins (so to speak). He does indeed get a good sound but not the Dumble sound (if I may thus characterise it). As for it having a good overdrive sound relative to other Fenders... Well, lets be frank, thats not really saying that much now, is it?

Buddy/lrbreez: Thanks for that. See my reply to Guitplayer.

P.S. Who is up for a duelling guitars version of "Brown Eyed Girl" (LOL).

This message has been edited by Ian Stewart Cairns on 04-05-2001 at 08:26 AM

This message has been edited by Ian Stewart Cairns on 04-05-2001 at 08:32 AM

I guess how you feel about the Dumble is how I feel about The '69 through '74 5O-watt MkII Marshalls (Model 1987). This is the model Duane Allman used. This is my "desert island" amp. The minute I first played through one it was like a religious experience. For me that was the wound and to this day it still sends shivers up my back. In fact I have 2 of them. I'm glad they aren't expensive like the Dumble. I think that you should do as one of the poster suggested and rent one to see if you feel that way about one.

Buddy

Originally posted by lrbreez:

I guess how you feel about the Dumble is how I feel about The '69 through '74 5O-watt MkII Marshalls (Model 1987). This is the model Duane Allman used. This is my "desert island" amp.

Although, I am a Brit and have owned several Marshall amplifiers over the years, my preference is for American or American-sounding amps. I do love the sounds of Dicky Betts and Duane Allman - it's just not the sound I am after.

The minute I first played through one it was like a religious experience.

I can well imagine. Epiphany! Lucky you. :-)

For me that was the wound and to this day it still sends shivers up my back. In fact I have 2 of them. I'm glad they aren't expensive like the Dumble.

Yes, Dumbles are rare as hen's teeth and unbelievably expensive. Even (especially) in the second-hand market. Bummer! Who said "the best things and life are free"? :-)

BTW, for those who are interested in Dumbles, or would like to learn more, check out http://www03.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/wa2/wmorgan/. This guy has gone to the extent of building his own Dumble clones.

Ian

Archived