Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is the Bass Guitar that important?

LiveMusic

Heehee, I'll bet that headline gets some attention if you're a bass player!

Oh brother, now I'm bringing in ANOTHER instrument to my wishlist of things to work on. Acoustic guitar, electric guitar, keyboards, percussion, harmonica. But of all, seems to me that bass is just as important.

On one hand, I couldn't really use it (live) in a solo act but as far as understanding music, I'll bet it would really help. And, of course, I could record bass tracks and play them back as accompaniment during a live gig.

I have a friend who is a really good bass player. He's all over the place with that left hand. He swears Paul McCartney is one the best. Watching my friend play bass on some Beatles tunes, I believe him. Quite complex.

Have you found working with a bass to help your guitar / music playing? Can you get a decent bass to mess around with at a decent price?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Yamaha is $350... a bit more than I would consider as a rank beginner for bass. How 'bout cheaper ones? Plus, I guess four strings is enough?

This message has been edited by LiveMusic on 03-28-2001 at 01:33 PM

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

I got a Mexican Fender Jazz bass recently for under $200. It plays decently but the pickups were a little less than ideal. I lucked out and found some Duncan Jazz Bass Antiquities for $25 each and they sound great.

So... now I have a nice bass for under $250.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Bass can appear to be easy. Just by listening to rock and roll, the bass is much easier to hear and copy than guitar. Which in one way makes bass fairly easy to learn.

But I find that the way some players pluck or pick the strings sounds good while the way others do it sounds bad. The bass player's hands have a big impact on his tone. This is especially important when it comes to recording.

Like all muscians, the art of bass is knowing what to leave in and what to leave out. There are only a few bass players that get away with over playing: Paul McCartney and Brian Wilson. But they had the advantage of writing the songs.

bein a one man guitar band kinda guy, i went a circuitous route tryin to get a bass signal on my(real time) loops...a lota guitar looper guys never get involved in a bass signal for there loops and i think that leaves something to be desired.

eventually i ended up w/ a w/ its one (or two) octave down patches providing a good bass signal and it forced me to think in the bass clef for inclusion in my tunes and a lota people that hear it like the sound, so, just a thought...

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Archived