Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's talk about taking lessons

LiveMusic

I've been searching for area guitar teachers. But I'm wondering if I need to do it anyway. If finding a good guitar instructor is anything like finding a good golf instructor, I dunno if I want to go to the trouble!

However, I sure wish I had help on certain things that I try to do that seem SO hard. And just general guidance on what to be practicing to achieve my goals. I'm kinda lost.

Pros of lessons:

- could prohibit bad technical habits from forming

- might advance faster

- hands-on instruction could clear something up in a jiffy that might take me a LONG time to figure out on my own

- inspiration

Cons of lessons:

- have to make and hold appointments, creating a time commitment that generally can't be broken (I honor my commitments but I prefer to freewheel as much as possible.)

- travel to and from the lesson eats up more time

- might waste a lot of time finding a good teacher

- expense

Well, I'm kinda blank after a night of partying. Not a very good list.

Questions:

1. How long do lessons last? I had my first piano lesson a few days ago. One-half hour. I'm not sure it's worth it for me to take half-hour lessons. I have to drive 35 miles each way for piano, guitar, whatever because I live in the sticks. I felt like 30 minutes just flew by. Over the decades, have they settled on any optimum length for a lesson?

2. I know several professional guitarists. Friends. How 'bout just striking some kind of deal with each of them for them to trade me some tricks of the trade for something of value I could give them in return. Like website services (which I do). At last resort, money. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

3. How often should you take a lesson? Weekly? Monthly? Assume I'm going to dedicate an hour or so each day for practice.

4. I am one who is self-taught, for the most part... for just about anything I've ever done. I've done it through books. Do you think it would be wise to go at guitar in this manner? (NOTE: My main gripe with this method, so far, has been just general confusion... not knowing what to do, day in and day out. I wish I could just find a good "course." A series of lessons in book/CD/online form. Haven't found it yet.

5. How much do lessons cost? Any comments on the range of prices?

If I had my druthers, I'd like to find a great teacher that could guide me for quite awhile. Meaning months.

On the other hand, I've bought a bunch of books. Some have CDs with them so you can listen and play along. Last one I bought, I really like it. It's by Acoustic Guitar Magazine -- "Flatpicking Guitar Essentials, Folk and Bluegrass." It has a CD. I'm not trying to be a bluegrass dude but I figured it would be a good place to start and might be fun and I do like bluegrass. And bluegrass did heavily influence modern guitar music.

My weakness is playing melodies, leads, solos. There is LOTS of stuff I can't do yet that I wish I could do... but the stuff in this book... a lot of it is exactly what I'd like to be able to do. I can hear a lot of rock/country/pop music in here. And they have another one -- "Acoustic Guitar Lead And Melody Basics." This looks ideal for this particular need.

Have you found taking lessons to really help?

If you can answer any of these questions, thanks.

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I teach over 30 students a week, some that fit your description. I would suggest that you call a few local music schools and see if you can arrange just one lesson with no commitments, as a trial. I think you will find that most schools will go for this, then take the material you are having the most trouble with to the lesson and see what happens. You may only want/need 4 lessons or less to get on the right track, or you may find continuing for longer beneficial, you won't know till you try,

Jim in Canada

My lessons last for 45 minutes on weekly basis. If you really practice hour or so maybe you should take two lessons a week. It's important that you tell your teacher what are your goals. I always hate when student tells me that he don't know what he wants... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/mad.gif

I took lessons while I was giving lessons. I needed some inspiration and new approach to music... It is definitely good to take lessons...

And always talk to your teacher (I'm not going as fast as I think I should, this is too hard for me, etc)

If it sounds god, just play the darn thing

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

1. How long do lessons last?

Mine: 30 minutes. There's no need for longer IMO; I can provide enough to do for an entire week in that time, more is merely "paying practice".

striking some kind of deal with each of them for them to trade me some tricks of the trade for something of value I could give them in return.

Might be good, might be bad. A lot of "professional" guitarists may not know as much as it seems; people are good at finding "a way". How do I know this? Because I've taught many a "professional" guitarist in various impromptu (meaning, casually sitting at a bar "hey, you know... I *sort* of know aht I'm doing... how do you do "this"?" is usually how a "lesson" starts...) settings over the years and have found it a curious pheonomena that people find ways of *half way* understanding music and making a career of it...

3. How often should you take a lesson? Weekly? Monthly? Assume I'm going to dedicate an hour or so each day for practice.

Weekly. More if you can put in more than 2 hours a day and can afford it, but as I said above I can give you enough homework that it will require a week to digest and practice fully.

anything I've ever done. I've done it through books. Do you think it would be wise to go at guitar in this manner?

Not if you have to ask the question.

just find a good "course." A series of lessons in book/CD/online form. Haven't found it yet.

There is no such thing that I have encountered. Of course, I'm in the process of writing an instruction book, but....

The library is a good resource. The thing to do is to try to come to an understanding of how music works theoretically *away* from the guitar - or any other instrument for that matter.

5. How much do lessons cost? Any comments on the range of prices?

$60 a month. I think that's the defacto standard these days; less than that it's probably a sketchy situation. Doesn't *have* to be, but...

If I had my druthers, I'd like to find a great teacher that could guide me for quite awhile. Meaning months.

Try to corral one and get them to play in front of you. See if they can play a variety of styles, and explain *why* they sound as they do. Consider whether it is a pat answer or a true explanation - and important thing.

My weakness is playing melodies, leads, solos. There is LOTS of stuff I can't do yet that I wish I could do... but the stuff in this book... a lot

Music is big.

Really, really big.

You can't cram "everything" in one book. What you've outlined above is a lifetime of studying and commitment, and it should be regarded as such.

It would seem that recently I've been getting a lot of students who have a very curious expectation about how fast they should be able to aquire the skills/knowledge to "play guitar": music is a big, deep concept - treat it as such and it will be easier.

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

May I suggest one of the "total immersion" schools like GIT (or whatever it's called nowdays,) Berklee and the like? Nothing is better than working on music 8 hours a day for your chops, work ethic and confidence.

It might seem like a big committment, and it is, but you'll get top-flight instruction in almost every aspect of the profession--good and bad.

If you're there at the end, you'll almost assuredly have the skills to be a working musician. What you do with those skills will be your choice.

Archived