Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stereo guitars cancelling

mateo_dup2

I need some help. I read that when you have recorded two identical rhythm guitar tracks and have them panned left and right, the will cancel out each other when played in mono. I tested this out and found this is very true. What can I do to fix this? Reverse the phase of the one of the guitars? Ugh.

Thanks

Matt Amos

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stevepow wote:

don't make them identical - a little delay on one.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Totally agree, do this and you'll be fine.

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Hold on one minute. I don't believe you can record to rhythm guitar tracks idential enough to have this problem. I have never experienced it. What kind of phasing? Is it an occassional problem or what?

SirBob,

Basically this is what happens. I record two rhythm tracks, pan one hard left and one hard right. This sounds great to me in stereo, but when I listen to the mix in mono the volume of the rhythm guitars all of a sudden drops severely. Not many people hear a CD in mono any more, but I thought it would just be good practice to fix this problem.

Thanks

Matt Amos

The most common phasing problems arise when you have two mics on the same source. Somethimes I also hear phasing with say a comp of two bass drums on a midi drum machine.

When you put a track in the extreme side of a stereo mix, it appears much louder because of its isolation than if it was in the center. Moreover, putting two similarly played rhythm guitar tracks in the center of the mix would naturally cause the articulation to muddy up (notice I didn't say idential guitar tracks because I think its impossible to do other than by digital copy).

Of course a significant drop in volume is a key sign of phasing problems. Although I also think that the main symptom of phasing is the creation of a terrible sound.

Matt,

How are you listening in mono? That is, what kind of console are you using and does it have a mono switch, or are you using some other method of getting a mono mix?

Also, how did you record the two tracks? Did you actually perform two different takes, or are they just two different mics on the same performance?

--Lee

This message has been edited by Lee Flier on 03-19-2001 at 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Matt,

How are you listening in mono? That is, what kind of console are you using and does it have a mono switch, or are you using some other method of getting a mono mix?

==================================================

The board isn't real great, an Alesis 32. I use the mono switch on the board.

Also, how did you record the two tracks? Did you actually perform two different takes, or are they just two different mics on the same performance?

The two tracks are from two performances. The same mic, amp and cabinet setup.

--Lee

This message has been edited by Lee Flier on 03-19-2001 at 05:18 PM

Archived