Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The truth about getting famous guitarists to autograph your guitar

LiveMusic

The coolest thing for me is for an artist to remember me.....that's happened a couple of times, really makes you feel good...that musician comraderie thing. Never asked for an autograph.....doesn't feel right to me. To each his or her own.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you are this ambivalent about it, then I'd say don't do it. It's a personal decision, and if you can't decide on your own, you're probably best off not getting the guitar signed. I understand thinking about the value effect; but since you don't plan on selling it, then it shouldn't matter.
There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Fantasticsound wrote:

>>But after working hundreds of concerts as local crew and mixer without bothering the talent, I can live with these minor invasions of their time. All of them were happy to sign.>>

Hey Neil, why the hell not, it's just another piece of imortality after all http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Simon

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Hey KHAN, haven't been able to get this link to lead anywhere useful. Any suggestions?

Hey Neil, why the hell not, it's just another piece of imortality after all

Simon

Yeah, I agree. But when you're working the concert, there is an extremely fine line between respectful admiration and germing. (Thats guh, not ja, in phonetic) Bad karma to be a major germ on a local crew. And it's kind of understood you show extra respect to the talent since they'll be swamped with fans later.

I was very upset to hear of Reba McEntire scolding her 5 year old in the mall because fans wanted autographs. She told him the fans paid for everything they have. While I respect that, her 5 year old was telling her HE needed some time out of the house with his MOM, not a superstar. So regardless of family being around, I tend to give the stars their space when I work around them. Let 'em have some peace.

I have to admit we've lost some golden opportunities for incredible pictures because of this ethic. Backstage at the Opry, my wife had the chance to capture Grandpa White (Ricky Skaggs' father in law, of The Whites) and Grandpa Jones, relaxing backstage. She also could have snapped a shot of Bill Monroe, hands behind his back, looking up at the Opry schedule on the wall. It would have been a fantastic candid shot. Anyone who worked with Monroe would tell you that she'd have had a 50/50 chance, at best, of not being kicked out right there after surrendering the film. Monroe was an ornery guy! Do we regret it? Kind of. I'm still glad they didn't have to put up with the annoyance of pics while they were relaxing backstage.

But I digress... again.

Thanks again, though, Simon! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived