Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

15" speaker for guitar

Ola Lagarhus

Anybody use a 15" speaker for guitar instead of 2x10" or 2x12"?

How will a 15" sound in comparison to the other two combinations?

Any experience with a Electro-Voice 15" speaker on guitar? Probably

a big low end - even if you tame the bass response......?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think frequency response could be a problem with 15's for guitar.

Generally 10" or 12" guitar speakers go into the 6k or 7k range. 15's generally don't go much above 3k or 4k (I think). The "air" of a guitar sound lives in that upper range IMHO.

However the combo of a 4-10 or a 4-12 cab resting on top of a 2-15 could create a devistating sound.

KHAN

http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/net4/orb.gifhttp://www.mp3.com/SurBigger

I would also like to add. If it sounds good. Go for it. I've done a few unorthodox things before, just because I liked it. making yourself happy is what it's all about... http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/net7/beerchug.gif

This message has been edited by KHAN on 03-04-2001 at 01:19 PM

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

The standard for pedal steel is a 15" JBL 130 series...the E models are OK, but the D or K models with alnico magnets(but reconed with the E model cone) are much preferred. My club rig for years(using a G&L "strat") included a 15" D130 JBL in an old Bassman bottom, re-ported for the 15....

The Fender Dual Showman from the mid 60's sported TWO D130's in a big bottom...the single "ring port" bottom that went with the Fender Showman is a much sought after cabinet for it's clear, strong tone.

Also, the Peavey Black Widow 15" lead speaker(used in the Session amps)is a VERY a close copy(Hartley had to fork over the big bucks to JBL for patent infringement)...and may be just a bit more durable. Both are EXCELLENT for guitar, with a big bottom, plenty of highs, and not near as much midrange "honk" as a 12"....the downside is you have less high end response off-axis...even though directly in front of the speaker it's just fine.

Peavey, in fact, makes a "Delta Blues" amp...30 tube watts with a cheesy 15" for that ratty, old timey tone(if it's your thing!!)....

Quote:

Posted by Khan

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also like to add. If it sounds good. Go for it. I've done a few unorthodox things before, just because I liked it. making yourself happy is what it's all about...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Khan,

You kill me man!! Definately hit the spot here.... Try it out if it sounds good it is good...... And here endeth the ? lesson...

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Hi,

I used an old blonde Fender cab with a 15" speaker with a Marshall 50 Watt head and thought it was the bees nees. When I returned from England to California, my roomates threw it out. (can you believe it.)

Maybe that was a showman cab?

I now have a 52 Pro amp with the 15" alnico reconed. It's real nice, but not as amazing as that cabinet I had before.

Essentially, your going to get more bass response wider distribution and a sense of power you just can't put your finger on.

I also like 2x10" speakers. Nice and defined.

If you want more bass, you can easily go with a Bassman reissue with the 4/10's but it's different. It's too much for me. I'll use a Twin.

I know this now. The cab with that speaker is what you're going for. The speaker by itself is nice, but no cigar...

The Pro amps will have a 15 and there's another too. (can't remember)

Best.

well, maybe the lesson ends there, but let me add my 2cents-

my(rich) guitar sound is totally based on 15" speakers- to be exact,i gotta bunch of um w/ single and double fender cabs,preferrably w/ my blackface dual showman or blackface showman or the red knob dual showmans w/ efx loop engaged. i even have that peavey delta blues w/ that 15 in there and it kix for small shows! i just luv that sound of a good fender guitar, a great amp pushin 15s(w/ reverb)-hi s, lo s, mids-they are all there and its man,

surfzup,dood

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

I played thru a couple of tweed Fender Pros with 15 inch Jensens and they sounded really sweet when cranked up. The Dual Showmans with the tone ring cabs with the JBL D-130s sound massive. I heard that those amps were designed for Dick Dale 'cuz he was blowing up everything else. I also played thru a Fender VibroVerb, I think it was. It had a 15 inch speaker in it and it had a great blues tone. I think Stevie Ray used those at some point. I always thought that 15 inch speakers would sound boomy until I tried them myself. I think they sound good used with the right amp and guitar.

A few years ago, Crate started their Vintage series of amps, and the one that I absolutely loved was the single 15" 50-watt. I was playing with a blues band at the time, and it sang like Etta James! Beefier than the 2-12" and the 3-10" combined!

Also, many heavy metal players today are going through bass cabinets to get that really low sound, especially if they are using a 7-string. A lot of 7-string players complain that their cabinets can't reproduce the low end enough.

Bill Murphy

www.murphonics.com

• 2 weeks later...
Stevie Ray Vaughn used to play through a couple of JBL 15's. I still love the sound of a strat through a 15. Most humbuckers sound a little muddy, though.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience with using a single 15" speaker is that it is very directional... sounds really good and loud directly in front , but walk a few feet to the side and it don't sound so good and loud. May or may not be a problem for ya.

This message has been edited by Kris on 03-26-2001 at 10:25 AM

Kris

My Band: http://www.fullblackout.com UPDATED!!! Fairly regularly these days...

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04

Here is my 2 cents worth. Probably only worth 1 1/2. Mark Farner, y'know Grand Funk Railroad, used (maybe still does) 15' speakers.. I read an interview in the past couple of years where he stated that he was using the same speaker cabinets he made when he worked in a music store back in the late 60s or early 70s and was still using the same cabs and speakes. He had to replace one of the speakers, the only one in 25+ years of use.

Check out a Peavey Delta Blues. They have two models, one with 2 tens, and one with a 15.

This message has been edited by jef5f on 03-24-2001 at 09:02 AM

Psalm 33:3

The best instrument you have, is your heart.

• 4 weeks later...

I use a custom built 15 cab with a Carvin 15(the more expensive model) in it. I get alot of complements on my sound but by it's self it doesn't sound good.MAKE SURE YOU GET A CROSSOVER FOR YOUR 15!!! I used my 15 by it's self for a while and personally I think they sound like complete shit with out a cross over! They tend to really soke up the lower midrange which isn't even what you want to come out of it. I would deffinatly buy a 4x12 or something along the lines of that to get the mid range and upper end to balance the sound out.

Something cool: Turn your amp up real loud with the distortion cranked and boost the bass a little with eq. then stick your face right in front of the 15 while you play really low and slow... makes your eyebrows feel really odd.

good luck!

Archived