Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Buzz Feinten -type spacing?

Allan Speers

I'm re-doing a few fretboards. Thought I'd try one of the more "intonated" nut/fret spacings, such as used by PRS or Buzz Feinten. I have tuning tables for the latter, but no info on what the spacing is. I have been told that It's just a matter of moving the nut closer to the first fret.

Does anyone have this info? Anyone ever measure a Tom Anderson or recent Hamer? PRS?

Also curious: Since this type of spacing compensates for the increased string tension closer to the nut, shouldn't there really be a gradual compensation from the nut all the way to the 12th fret?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You might want to check Washburn. They are also using Buzz Feiten's tuning system. There are two points that make it different from standard setup. First, the nut is closer to the first fret. Second, the strings are tuned to slightly offset pitches, not standard A-440Hz. You may even want to contact Buzz Feiten directly for more info.

Originally posted by Allan Speers:

Also curious: Since this type of spacing compensates for the increased string tension closer to the nut, shouldn't there really be a gradual compensation from the nut all the way to the 12th fret?

No, because the tension offsets itself (lessens) as you move from the nut; the frets are already "compensating" the scale anyhow, so it's a matter of matching.... Which is a finicky thing, but if your action is low at the nut it's a almost miniscule amount of error anyhow - no doubt within the hysteresis of the normal process of fretting a note anyhow....

The Feiten tuning system I'm not fond of - I've done different stretch tunings over the years anyhow, and probably a lot of people have without realizing it - by tuning to chords and doing beat matching with different intervals, depending on the song. Excluding using narrow and low frets combined with heavy strings and low action, matching the two shouldn't be that big of a deal I think.

I like how the compensated nut helps, though. Some clever person needs to come out with a under-the-Floyd locking nut device, that would make a zero fret happen in front of the normal nut entry to retrofit older guitars... or make a replacement locking nut that hangs over the end of the fret board to do the same.

Just make sure to give me some royalties on the idea....

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

He doesn't give-away the measurement. Your supposed to have the work done by a licensed repairman. I do my own work, and only for myself (it's a hobby) so I can't afford to pay a large sum just to get one measurement.

It's a bit odd that Buzz was able to license this, as the basic idea has been around quite some time. Good for him, I guess, but I still want the measurement. Whatever. I guess I'll go measure a Washburn and be done with it. I still say that graduation the fret spacing continuaously up to the 12th fret would be better, but I don't have the time to experiment that much!

Earvana has a replacement nut that competes with the Feiten system. It's a lot cheaper, but I don't know what it sounds like. Check out their website for info.

I have a Washburn with the Buzz system and like it very much. Sounds more in tune with my piano than my other guitar.

Originally posted by Allan Speers:

He doesn't give-away the measurement. Your supposed to have the work done by a licensed repairman. I do my own work, and only for myself (it's a hobby) so I can't afford to pay a large sum just to get one measurement.

.. or you can go to the U.S. patent office homepage.

It's clever that he managed to patent that, but it's sort of like patenting the ratio for fret placement or some such....

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Archived