Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Opinion of VOX AC30 amps?

Ola Lagarhus

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I say the Vox AC-30 is one of the best sounding amps ever made. Period. I don't have one, I'm happy with the amps that I have and they're too expensive for my blood at the moment. But if they weren't quite so expensive or if I'd managed to score a vintage one back when they were more within reach, I'd have one.

The reissues actually sound a lot closer to the old ones than most reissues do. They are surprisingly good and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Strong words coming from a major vintage snob like myself. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Normal or top boost - they're both good, heck they're ALL good, but it's just subjective which one you like better and what kinds of guitars you'll be using with them. Try them both out and see which you prefer.

--Lee

I heard one of the older ones about a month ago. It was a Top Boost. This guy brought it to a jam and cranked it. It sounded great at around 7 or 8. It was a bit too loud for that particular situation but the tone was great. If you want to hear some recorded Vox AC-30 tones, check out Brian Mays' work with Queen. Or Mike Cambell's stuff with Tom Petty. Or some old Beatles stuff - Paperback Writer is my favorite. I think that was a Vox.

As far as I'm concerned, Vox outdid everyone for tone. Remember, you get what you pay for, so they are expensive. Any AC30 is good. The vintage are considered the best, with the reissues a close second. the 70s and 80s models are good, but its your ear you have to please, noone else. Check out Phil Keaggy's recordings since 1987. The majority of things he recorded were on an AC30 or his little Yamaha practice amp that he has had since the late 70s or early 80s.

Psalm 33:3

The best instrument you have, is your heart.

Ola

I have a vintage AC30 and it has the most fantastic tone. If your budget allows buy one you'll never regret it. I have had mine for 20 years and have never lost my passion, love or respect for what I can achieve from it.

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Archived