Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Champ amp questions

Pro Jules

I want to get one for recording:

There is one 6 watt vibro champ with a not working Vibrato section that sounds FANTASTIC!

and a fucked sounding 5 watt one

Both look old and are valve

I know the 5 what ones are rarer and perhaps better..

Which one to get? either one will need repairing...

Also, wont the speaker be no good by now?

Replacements?

mods?

Advice?

TIA

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Jules

This message has been edited by Julian standen on 02-24-2001 at 08:38 PM

Jules

Producer Julian Standen

London, UK,

Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 5 watt one is probably Tweed and is definately better. According to Gerald Weber, the best Champ is the 5F1 with a strong low end and punchier attack. They were made between '59 and '62. They use a 4 ohm speaker. The Champ thing is that it is Class A with one power tube on all the time. This gives fuller possibly edgier tone. Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top was know for overdriving Champs in the recording studio. Eric Clapton is said to have used a Champ for the Layla sessions.

Dave Allen of Allen Amplification in Kentucky will overhaul it and is very reasonable. Give him a call at 859-485-6423.

I should have mentioned that you can pull out the brains, bubble wrap it and send it to Dave Allen. This is a regular part of his business. He has a chart on the cost for various replacement items and is very reasonable.

Dave is expert in Fender amps. He makes and sells kits of Fender style amps. I have bought a vintage style output transformer, caps, etc. from him. I have called him several times on Fender amp issues and gotten some good advice. He is very easy to deal with.

I saw Dave's ads in Vintage Guitar, 20th Century Guitar and other valve (tube) publications. His web site is: www.allenamps.com

BTW for recording, I have a Tweed Champ and brown tolex Princeton, both '62's, and have no desire of getting a Pod.

Jukes,

The VibroChamp sounds WAY different from the Champ, tweed or BF. Voltages are different, and there is more sag, due to the added circuitry. You can do an EQ / Vibrato bypass. This will get you close, but it won't sound like a tweed Champ. I know 'cause I tried. I finally modded the feedback, put in smaller filter caps, and changed the output tranny. Now it sounds killer, but for the money I spent (not to mention my time) I could have bought a Victoria 5F1 clone. That would be my recommendation, if in fact you really want that sound.

With either the Victoria or the real 5F1:

It's a cool bluesy thang, and you can get a great compressed lead tone out of it (all midrange though) but not so good for modern rock. Way too soft and spongy. Also pretty loose. the 8" speaker doesn't provide much back-inductance, so not a lot of "chunk."

But hey, if it sounds "fantastick" to you, just buy the thing, why post the question?

This message has been edited by Allan Speers on 02-28-2001 at 05:54 AM

Jules, the tweed Champs are cool but not necessarily the best, it's a matter of taste really. I have a '65 black face Vibro Champ and I could probably get it to sound a little better if I modified it some, but it's still way cool. Still has the original speaker and it's fine! I really would not assume you were going to like the tweed better, just compare the two first.

Honestly though, if I personally were going to get a killer vintage Fender amp for recording, I'd go for a Princeton, a Deluxe or a Vibrolux Reverb. The blackface Vibrolux is my absolute favorite. I have a stage amp, a '65 Pro Reverb, which sounds almost as good but boy I'd love a Vibrolux. You just can't beat that tone with any of the other Fender amps in my book.

If you want that Stones "Some Girls" sound, like the sound on "Beast of Burden", get an old Princeton. Those are killer too!

--Lee

GRRRRR Jules!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif

Actually, I used to LIKE old Bee Gees, pre-disco era. "In My Own Time" is a fave of mine, and so is "To Love Somebody"... hell they had a LOT of great tunes back then.

Although, one of my fave local bands does a cover of "In My Own Time", and it blows the cover off the original. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

--Lee

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by Sir Bob:

The 5 watt one is probably Tweed and is definately better. According to Gerald Weber, the best Champ is the 5F1 with a strong low end and punchier attack. They were made between '59 and '62. They use a 4 ohm speaker. The Champ thing is that it is Class A with one power tube on all the time. This gives fuller possibly edgier tone. Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top was know for overdriving Champs in the recording studio. Eric Clapton is said to have used a Champ for the Layla sessions.

Dave Allen of Allen Amplification in Kentucky will overhaul it and is very reasonable. Give him a call at 859-485-6423.

Bob ....

If you check around a bit about me, and know my age, you can be assured that on Layla, a tweed champ and a 12 watt tweed deluxe were used.

Happy playing ....

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by Julian standen:

I want to get one for recording:

There is one 6 watt vibro champ with a not working Vibrato section that sounds FANTASTIC!

and a fucked sounding 5 watt one

Both look old and are valve

I know the 5 what ones are rarer and perhaps better..

Which one to get? either one will need repairing...

Also, wont the speaker be no good by now?

Replacements?

mods?

Advice?

TIA

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Jules

This message has been edited by Julian standen on 02-24-2001 at 08:38 PM

I like the 5F1 Tweed Champs or the 5F2 Tweed Princetons personaly.

One option is to build your own. There are plenty of schematics available around the Internet. A 5F1 or 5F2 is about as simple as building an amp gets and you can get the Tweed sound for a lot less than buying an original or an aftermarket "Boutique" amp with high quality modern components.

Casey4s

My DIY Amp Page

Archived