Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can I do this tuning w/o breaking my guitar

Sergievsky

I would like to change to tuning on my semi-hollow electric into violin tunings, specifically, strating from the high string, E,A,D,G,C...and I guess down to low F. I understand the main problem to this would be creating too much tension. So I suppose I need to use different gauges for some of the strings,but which for which string? How about using a capo somewhere...would that help keep away flapping on some strings? How best to approach this? Thanks in advance.

Raul

Raul

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raul

I guess i'd go for the capo!!! I don't think I'd really want to risk any damage to any one of my babies trying this one out.. But hell if you're brave enough let me know how you get on....... As a matter of interest why do ya want to do this anyways?

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Well, I'm really a beginner guitarist, but I play piano and played violin for a number of years. I've recently resumed my violin playing and found that I'm picking it back up again much more quickly than I am learning to play lead on the guitar! The different positions on violin compared to the positions on the guitar is constantly screwing me up. I just bought an acoustic so I do the chords and strums on that pretty well, but I just cannot see the notes on the fretboard the way I see them on the piano and the violin. Know what I mean? So perhaps tuning my electric like the violin will actually let me play solos on the damn thing.

I've seen some electric mandolins on the web,but they look short and weird. The celloblaster from Schecter seemed cool, but out of production (apparently the inventor took the rights back and now markets Penta-guitars at around 4grand a pop). So there. I got this super awesome electric and it deserves to be playedmuch better. I just read an article in acoustic guitar on string tension and alternate tunings. Still...I'm not totally sure how I'm going to go about this and how safe it is.

Raul

Raul

Raul- I'm no expert but my guess would be that you could use that tuning but your guitar would have to be set up specifically for it by a pro. If by high string you mean the one at the top when strapped on then the only two that are different from standard tuning are the c and low f. The C should actually be o.k. as it's only 1/2 step higher than standard B tuning. Your problems gonna be the low f, if I'm understanding you right anyways. If you could tune up from E to F that shouldn't be a problem, once again only a half step difference than the normal E tuning.

If you really have tune down from E to F your gonna have problems as that almost a whole octave and your strings gonna be flapping with the breeze. I'm not even sure this could be setup or not, that's a big difference from the rest of your strings. Your best bet would be to call a local guitar tech and ask.

I understand the frustration of trying to learn both instruments and to have some consistency in the learning process, but I would suggest learning the guitar in standard tuning because, in the long run, I think you'll be better off. Having the low strings on top is going to be very odd, especially if you're trying to strum chords. If the bass notes are at the bottom, you'll have to strum with upstrokes to make things sound right. I would suggest approaching violin and guitar as they are - and they are DIFFERENT instruments. Take it slow and be patient. I think you'll be able to get things together on guitar, violin and piano if you just do things one step at a time. Good luck!

Lisa

Well, I gave it a shot anyways. Basically tuning down everything while tuning the High E half step, and then putting a capo on the fourth fret. Flapping on the low strings was minimized by it but the tuning just kept getting screwy. The intervals were different enough that whatever technique I have on the violin just doesn't apply whatsoever. I still think it could be done though, but I would need to take out the g string and move up the lower strings and tune down appropriately But...Lisa's right. In the long run I suppose I'd be better off just getting better with the standard tuning.

The whole idea just came about because I'm 31 years old and I know how long it takes and how hard I need to practice to get to the point I am now with the piano, and even the violin. The older we get, our learning curve just ain't the same as when we were young and all we thought about was homework and sex with the opposite sex. Anyway, thanks for the responses. Maybe I'll just get a luthier to make me a custom 5 string mandocaster type...or maybe not.

Raul

Raul

• 5 months later...

Serg,

I'm new to this forum and did a search to see if anyone was using the

same tuning that I use...

From the Lightest string: E A D G C...(I just use five strings)

I call it Bouzouki tuning (their 4 pairs of strings are tuned E A D G)

And I call the resulting instruments: Bouzars.

I learned the tuning by playing a Greek Bouzouki in an Celtic band...

From what I've read, it could be considered an "original"

guitar tuning...4 string baritone and tenor guitars

were/are tuned this way...

This tuning is great!

Once you know it you will also know the fretting/fingering for the

many instruments that share the same layout...ie: mandolin, mandocello

bouzouki, fiddle, viola, cello, tenor/plectrum (4string) banjo, etc., etc...

ANY guitar can be successfully restrung to acheive this tuning...

ALL of my guitars are tuned this way: 12stringers (I only put 10 strings on) nylons, acoustics, even an old Oahu lapsteel and a couple of basses

(Bassoukis??)...

I even do a version of Nashville tuning!

Correct gauges must be used to insure even string tension...

I've got a little slide-rule type thing to determine the right strings

for each instrument...

If you let me know the specifics such as the distance from the nut

to the bridge on your "axe", and the general tension (light/bendy to heavy/stiff feel) you prefer, then I could tell you which string

gauges you'd need...

When I visited Ireland a few years back, I described my tuning choice to the local string-slingers...

They said, "Oh yeah, we got those here too, we call 'em Guizoukis!"

Nothing new under the Sun...

Let me know,

Nickelbob

20to20soundesign

P.S., I read that Robert Fripp exclusively uses a tuning that he developed that he calls the "New Standard Tuning"...Guess what: (G) E A D G C !!

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

Archived