Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Floyd Rose Trems?

kabrijjhotmail.com

I think the next guitar I'm going to buy will have a Floyd Rose. Any comments on this type of bridge? The only real experience I've had with them is one of my old, crappy guitars... it had a real hideous floyd on it, you dont even snip the ball ends off the strings, it doesnt clamp at that end... So I'm wondering if its worth it, all the trouble I hear they cause, to have one?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on your style, and then, how you set it up. As far as tuning stability...a good one is ROCK SOLID. Hoever, if you like to bend strings, you may want to set it up for lower only...as a full floater will make you work harder to get that bent tone up to pitch. There is a gadget called a "trem setter" that gives you a center detent to override if you need the floater.

Once your strings are up to pitch and broken in, the FR is THE MOST STABLE vibrato design....

Originally posted by kabrijj@hotmail.com:

I think the next guitar I'm going to buy will have a Floyd Rose. Any comments on this type of bridge?

A lot of companies make "less than" Floyd Rose trems now... Thinner base plates and skinnier posts. In those cases there's no point IMO, you lose too much sustain and note clarity in chords.

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Floyd Roses definitely take some getting used to in both playability and maintenance. If set up properly, they do work quite well. I've got several guitars with Floyds on them and have been very satisfied with the way they stay in tune. But like I said, it does take some getting used to and not everybody is able to adjust to the difference in feel or the work it takes to maintain them. There are some trade offs. In most cases, the tremolo action is much harder than that of a standard-type tremolo bridge and it is a different feel. But then again, there are some things you can do with a Floyd that you can't do with any other tremolo. Before you make your final decision, I would suggest playing a guitar that has a properly set up Floyd on it and see how you like it. If you do decide to get the guitar with a Floyd, you might want to sit down with a tech and get a lesson in maintenance to learn the most important things, like proper string changing and adjustment so that you give yourself enough leeway with the fine tuners and put the right number of windings around the tuning pegs. Additionally, you have to learn the tricks to tuning, because if you set up the bridge so it's floating, tuning can be somewhat of a balancing act. Until you really get the hang of things, it's probably best to change them one at a time, rather than to take them all off at once. I've found that is where many people have the most difficulty. Be patient, approach it like a new instrument and give yourself time to get used to things. Good luck!

Archived