Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sans Amp PSA-1 (rackmount unit)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a big user of the PSA-1. I didn't want to like it because the modeling amps were less expensive and seemingly more versatile. I compared everything that was available about a year ago and bought it.

It's not perfect. It doesn't sustain naturally the way a tube amp does. The control knobs also use names like buzz and crunch instead of calling them by what they really do....that was kind of confusing for me at first. That's my only two complaints. I think it nails the Marshall Plexi sound, clean and distorted, and that is worth $500 to me right there. It gives you immediate access to all the parameters with each knob. Pod and J-station require software to access many of those functions. It has an effects loop and that is important.

Good article on using these devices in the new Guitar Player magazine. The author suggests putting an overdrive pedal or distortion pedal in front of a very clean sound, or just the speaker simulator. Couldn't

agree more.

I was very reluctant to buy one of these DI devices because years ago I bought a Rockman X-100 to use with a 4-track cassette recorder. It sounded bad from the first day I recorded with it. In contrast, I play friends tracks recorded with the SansAmp and they think it's a real amp. None of the amp simulations "feel" like a tube amp but I like the sound. I record with a real amp about 30 % of the time.

I'm using analog pedals mostly. Boss Blues Driver, an old DOD chorus, Boss BF-2 Flanger, Mutron BiPhase. I own more expensive chorus pedals but the DOD I have is magical, even on keyboards, but it's impossible to find. Effects used in conjuntion with amp modelers/simulators seem to make the effects more pronounced than with a real amp.

When I play live I rarely use effects and I just go straight into a Peavey Classic 50. I use the SansAmp just for recording.

Gonna be buying a used one for about $250. Tried one out a store and liked it...

Have you tried it with any multi-fx units at all? That will be the next to get.

I haven't tried it with a multi-effects but I have used a Yamaha SPX-900 in the effects loop for delays and reverb and it sounded great. Some multi-effects units would be best through the effects loop and some might work better in front of the SansAmp. Distortion and overdrive units work best in front of the preamp and time-based effects (reverb, delay) and modulation effects (chorus, flanging, phase shifting) work best after.

I record with chorus or flanging but I wait until it's time to mix to add reverb or delay. I record into an Akai DPS16 and I use the rotory speaker effect and reverbs that are built in. The Akai has 4 effects busses and a pretty decent selection of effects.

ahhh....rotary and tremolo are 2 fx that I am looking for.....

any other pieces, that you know of or have tried, that have those fx and are noteworthy?

I have read the reviews on the Lexicon MPX-500 and they all say it's a good proccesser. It has a rotary/leslie effect and has a reputation for having good reverbs. I looked at it in the stores and it looks very straightforward and logical.

Maybe someone that has one can comment.

There are many good floor pedals that have a tremolo effect. I would go to a store and take your guitar and play as many as possible.

Archived