Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finding the time

BK_dup2

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey BK

Good topic!

Practice hmmmm... I don't have a huge amount of time for practice these days and I relly wish I did. Unfortunately work schedules don't allow me more than a couple of hours three times a week and you know the funny thing is I tend to practice on my accoustic. When I'm playing I just play and see what comes. I love the spontaneity of working this way... I seem to come up with new vibes much easier. I'll play the tune three or four times with differing vibes and then live with it for a couple of days and then fine tune the ones I like the best. As for copying well no way jose. I think we are all subliminally influenced by things we have heard but direct copy and change to my style.. No Way!!! It just would end up being a poor imitation of someone else and I couldn't live with that. As for writing well yeah I write a lot and to be true I'd like to write a lot more with more time to do it. I have a publishing deal and truth to tell I never start on the song commitment until a few weeks before its due. I should say that this is intentional, because if I start too early then I just end up being over critical about the work and end up with nothing... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Simon

Joseph

If u don't have a teacher and I did not then imho the only way to learn and to grow is to listen to everything and take the good points and turn them into your own style and vibe.

good luck to ya!!

Simon

I do it all. I cop licks and styles from cds, tapes, and records (yes I said records). I noodle around and sometimes I'll stumble onto things. I pickup tricks and ideas from playing with other people, other instruments included. I even get ideas from sounds, like a clicking sound in someones car, or a jack hammer being used on the highway, or the beeps and bells at a hospital, then I try to translate that into something on the guitar. I'm limited in my ability, so I try not to limit inspiration and learning to just one or two things.

Psalm 33:3

The best instrument you have, is your heart.

BK

I'm seriously amazed at the lack of response to this one. Its a cool topic, maybe our friends out there are being just a bit too cagey about life huh? And while we're on the subject where the hell is Lee? Come back Lee we need ya!!!!

Simon

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Yo Simon,,

Yeah maybe my breath stinks!!!!

Vocal Sessions went better than expected.. Thank god for AUTO TUNE. If you like shoot me an email - you will find it on my profile.

I will only be checking my email the next week or so. Too much work - its a good thing.

Peace and Beer...

BK

Originally posted by joseph@andrews.edu:

hyuk. I should definetely practice more. My version of practicing is just playing songs i like and trying to find more songs to play. But i think that's not too great of a practice regimen. If some of you Guitar Gurus have some methods to learn more without a teacher, i would be VERY appreciative.

Thx

Joseph, I'm no Guru but my advice would be to take advantage of every resource you can. I assume you know how to read tab, so get tabs of songs you like and learn them. If you can't read tab, learn to, it's not that hard. Look into getting some instructional videos, just make sure they aren't too advanced. It's no fun trying to learn something when you can't even begin to understand it.

There are also some great resources on the net. www.wholenote.com is a great place to start. It's free to sign up and there are LOADS of lessons from knowledgable people with midi'd examples. there is also chord, scale, arpeggio finder and many other resources available. Get on there and start learning some scales. You'd be surprised what you can do with the Major and Minor pentatonic scales and the blues scale. The Major and minor pentatonic scale is exactly the same thing by the way, just fretted 3 frets apart. Blues scale is almost exactly the same as well so it's not difficult to learn, just remember, it takes time.

For me, well, I kinda take B.B.'s stance "I don't practice much"...if there's something that pops into my head or something I'll give it a shot, but I'm at the point in my life where I've realized that I'm not going to be the next Danny Gatton, and although there are things about my playing I can always improve, I'm pretty much at the top of my meager game. Don't get me wrong, I'm still learning.

I realize that a lot of what makes me a better player is being able to apply what I already know, and that means playing the gigs. For a long time it was me on acoustic and the bass player, so I wasn't taking too many solos, and that hurt my playing. Now, I'm playing more electric, taking a few solos, and maybe my playing will improve a bit (although it sure sounds stale to me). But in a way, being "spare" with the solos can be good, and keeps one from getting into this habit of excessive noodling. I've never been a "jam it out" guy much, a few bars of solo and I've said about what I want to say. Heck, that approach never hurt Pete Townshend much.

Where the "finding the time" topic hits me is in the department of finding the time to work and record my original material. That's where my heart is. I guess as a guitar player I take more the songwriter approach in that the guitar is just one of many tools to get the song sounding the way you want it to.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by BK:

I was curious to see what everyones practice /playing routines are like.

Do you just play and see what comes out / Do you cop licks from your fav. players (if so how do you do it) / do you spend time writing - or all of the above.

BK

From 16 to 25 I played guitar 90% of the time I was awake.

I teach guitar as may day job, started teaching about a year after I started playing; I'm 33 now. I spend my day deciphering guitar parts from a CD on the spot, which I'm really good at apparently, and anytime at work while I'm not doing that I'm mindlessly doing calisthenic type exercises to work on aspects of my technique I feel need working on.

When I'm at home I'm working on my own music, as I've just been for the past couple of hours before work here today. Which I'll do for a few hours after work. I'm playing guitar, but I'm also playing bass and drums, and recording. What I get out of that is mental practice of listening and evaluating - what I can't do in the environment at the store I teach at.

So, listen, decipher and analyze for a few hours, then create and evaluate for a few hours.

Repeat for how long... geez.. 16 years straight????? Ahhhhg.....

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I work on what needs work, more or less in this order of priority:

-- New songs needed for this week's gigs

-- Songs I screwed up on last week's gigs http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

-- Get out the method book I'm currently working on and try to grind through a few more pages

-- Try applying what I'm working on in the method book to some real tunes

-- Do some jamming and see if anything interesting pops out http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

That's about it...

Yeah

I suppose I really havent sat down and gone through scales in a long time. I guess thats a bad thing - Maybe more of a trade off with producing and writing.

I find myself really just trying to improve my playing by coming up with better parts.

My session skills are a little rusty because of it. Just not enough damn time.

BK

BK wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I find myself really just trying to improve my playing by coming up with better parts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep you're not wrong, as you said it really is a trade off with the production and engineering side. I too wish I had more time to practice scales and stuff but hey I guess we get to a point where we have a kinda armoury of stuff that we know works and we adapt it to the sessions that we play.... There are days when I would much rather just go back to playing but then I never knew that the 'other' side would take over to the degree it has...... And there but for the grace of god go all us (guitarists) sinners!!!

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/redface.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Sinner

Yeah buddy

I got alot to answer for when my name is up. Maybe God will just know that I am a guitarist and give me a get out of jail free card or something. NOT BLOODY LIKELY!!!!!!

Hey Chip

Sounds like you have the best job to develop your ears. Man that is a lost art these days. I dont see many kids transcribing. Thats a shame for obviouse reasons.

Do you find many of your students dont have these listening tools..

Peace out

BK

Most of the time I spend preparing for band practice (new tunes, fixing tunes from last practice, etc.), but then I also have made commitment to do more scale work. What I do is learn the basic scale then while watching TV, I'll just noodle around with it i.e., different fingerings, different strings, forwards, backwards. It's amazing to see what commercial jingles use what scales...

This message has been edited by greed2000 on 02-21-2001 at 10:49 AM

Archived