Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Problem with Wilkinson tremelo?

Hey there,

I got the Ty Tabor signature model from Yamaha. I am starting to take the thing for its paces and see how it really performs. I was caught off guard by one little situation: the guitar has a Wilinson tremelo bar (we used to call them whammy bars in the day) and when I did my first dive bomb, the thing slipped off its pivot pins. The springs were the only thing that kept the main trem block from killing someone. After getting the thing reset and restrung, its all OK. This is the first guitar I have owned with this type of trem (back in the hair-band days, I owned several guitars with Floyds and dive-bombs were no problem, hell they were required in the music). My question is: Did I just try to do something with the Wilkinson it wasn't designed to do or is this thing set up incorrectly or is it defective? The store I got it from said that the Wilkinsons just weren't meant to be used the way I used it. I just wanted to get some other opinions.

Thanks in advance for any info you might have.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something doesn't sound right, but it's hard to say whether it was the guitar or player at fault. Perhaps the bridge was not correctly set on the post to begin with. Get the bridge setup straightened out and see if it happens again with regular playing. I wouldn't suggest doing anything too overly drastic, like standing on it. Normal divebombs with a Wilkinson tremolo shouldn't be a problem at all. However, if the bridge keeps slipping off the post, definitely bring it in to a shop to have it checked out.

Is this the Wilkinson with the trem-lockdown in neutral? There may be a malfunction with this....or, is the bridge plate is too close to the top of the guitar, rotating the arm will cause the bearing edge to slip away from the grooves in the fulcrum posts. You may need to shim the neck back, just a bit..then raise your tailpiece a hair.

And, it could just be a defective unit...it happens.

Archived