Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

looking for information

night dog

A friend of mine has a 1938

Martin 00-17 guitar that has a mahogany

body and is in excellent shape. Is there

anybody give me some history about this

prewar Martin and tell me about what it is

worth ? Thank You,

Lee Britt,

Spring, Texas

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a 1953 Martin 00-17. My dad bought it in 1954. They are outstanding guitars. Ones in gooooood shape, have asking prices in the $2000-2500 I've noticed lately. Mine is in played condition, so it's monetary value is around $1500-1700, according to the prices I am seeing. I don't remember the history of the guitar. I think production began in the late 1920s or early 1930s and ran into the late 70s or early 80s. There was a book about Martins with serial numbers for dating which gave the history of Martin guitars and the guitars of Martin. I love the small all-mahogany body. It is very responsive to my playing. I can bang hard, or finger pick a sweet tune. It is sturdy and sweet all at once. But what else would we expect from the standard, the best there is!

Psalm 33:3

The best instrument you have, is your heart.

I'd suggest calling Gruhn Guitars in Nashville,TN or Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island, NY or Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI. All of those dealers are very reputable and would be able to give you a fair estimate of the value. However, without actually examining the instrument, it's more difficult to be quite as accurate in estimating its actual value.

Archived