Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Line 6 DL-4 Delay Modeler Pedal

Rob Granger

I'm getting ready to make some changes to the ol' pedal board and I was wondering if anyone has a Line 6 DL-4 that they've been gigging with. I currently have a DOD Analog Delay that sounds great, but the DL-4 looks to cool to pass up. The feature list looks amazing, I'm just wondering if the delays actually sound good and convincing.

I'm also curious about its construction -- will my size 13's kill it after two sets? ANY info or horror/road/studio stories would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Rob

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried one and it was in and out of my pedalboard in less than 1/2 hour. It absolutely sucked the tone right outta my rig.

I didn't really like the sounds either - the wet delays never seemed to blend with the dry sound.

I'm sticking with my Boss DM-2 (analog) and Dan-Echo (digital) pedals. MUCH more musical IMHO.

My .02, your mileage may vary.

I've not been able to try one, but all the guitar reviews claim that they are very, very good, even with the weaknesses. I really like the Danelectro DanEcho. I've played through a couple and it is outstanding. I think it is pretty sturdy. Not to long ago, I was looking to buy a delay pedal for a little reverb and a single repeat delay, and the salesman suggested the Akai Headrush. But I haven't found one to try. None of the places I have withing 100 miles of me have it, so I don't know. But it is a multi-faceted unit. Tape Delay emualtion, echo, looping, and something like 23 or 24 seconds of delay. Sounds good. Right now, til I bring more money and time together, I'm using an old Yamaha Analog Rack Delay.

I've got a Line6 DL-4 and I find the tape echoes to be very warm sounding and realistic, (although it's been a few years since I last had a working "space echo"). I've used it in my live setup for a few months and on a number of recordings and I've continued to find it very effective, quiet, and fat sounding.

I saw Coco Montoya play with one a couple of weeks ago, (along with a DM-4), and it sounded great. He mentioned during a break that he had been using their stuff for a couple of months and really liked them.

As far as durability, it is metal. I've heard people complain the paint may "flake" under regular band conditions (but mine hasn't yet), and the switches seem fine, but only time will tell.

One negative is that with so many options, it's a shame to only have 4 presets... (although my Boss effects only have one).

The tap tempo is a nice addition, I can't imagine going back to a delay that doesn't have this feature.

Also, be sure to get the AC adapter, (%#!$& thing is NOT included), because it "sucks up" batteries in a hurry.

Obviously, everyone is going to have their own take... why don't you grab one from one of the "mass-retailers" with a 30 day money back guarantee and see what you think.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Thanks for the info guys! I'll more than likely hit guitar center this weekend to see if I can get my hands on one. Worse comes to worse, I'll take it back...

Thanks again! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

This message has been edited by Rob Granger on 01-25-2001 at 06:28 PM

Whatever you do,stay away from Akai's Headrush(I got it,because of the tap tempo snd the looping thing).It will overload its input sooooo easily,and after that your tone is gone...The DM4 is really great,i think probably the best delay-looping pedal in the last 5 years or more.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a DL-4 along with a MM-4. The DL-4 is great. I use it thru the front end of my amp (no effects loop) and in that application, it works better than a Boss RV-3, DM-2, Zoom 508, etc... at least to my ears. It has true bypass which is nice. You can get some trippy sounds by using the loop sampler. I've had my unit for almost a year now. I had one problem a few months ago when one of the nuts on one of the switches came loose and the whole switch fell into the unit. I had to take it to a tech to get it out. Other than that, no problems whatsoever. It has a lot of features for a stompbox unit.

Archived