Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Effects Pedals

Punchmo

Ok, my son is ready to move from a Zoom multi effects pedal to dedicated stomp boxes. It will be a wah pedal, compressor, overdrive/distortion and maybe a delay. I got a handel on the wah units that are available (couple in my studio) but don't no much about the rest of the chain. Any thoughts on stomp boxes to serve this need. Tedster??? Curve??? Others??

BTW, Curve, good reply earlier to the signal chain on the comp/wah thang...I agree.

Thanks,

sp

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might be helpful if you gave us a little more information. How old is your son, what amp does he use, what kind of music does he play??? I've been using rack stuff for so long I'm probably a little out of touch. I did play through one of those ugly green Tube Screamers recently and thought it was pretty good.

Good Luck

There are a lot of good units available at varying prices.

Inexpensive:

Distortion - Ibanez Tube Screamer, ProCo Brat, Boss Distortion pedals, Danelectro Daddy-O and Fab Tone, DOD Big Fat Pig, or Mystic Blues and the Jeckyl and Hyde by Visual Sound (Phil Keaggy has used a J&H and a Fuzz Face of late. (The Fab tone and the Big Fat Pig are the only ones I don't care for, but they are too over the top for my tastes).

High End Expensive:

Full Tone, Budda, Mesa Boogie, Koch and others.

Compressors:

The ones I am familiar with that are good, the Ibanez, the Boss, and the Comptortion (a combination distortion and compressor pedal). The Route 66 by Visual Sound has a Tube Screamer distortion and a compressor.

Delay Pedals:

The best I think is the Danelectro Danecho Delay. The Akai Headrush, a little more expensive and more versatile is very good and the Line 6 Delay Modulator.

I play a 70s type rock in sound and a Blues/Rock. I also play in a worship band for some things. I currently use an Ibanez TS7 (an inexensive tube screamer. Pretty good, but not quite what the original or 2nd series is) a ProCo Brat, and a Danelectro Bacon and Eggs Mini amp for a boost or for a moderately distorted blues type feel. I use an Ibanez CP9, the red one from the early 80s'. I am going pick up a Dan Echo or an Akai Headrush soon before my band goes out again the spring. Currently, I use a Yamaha rack mount Analog delay.

I hope this helps some. If your son is looking for a harder edge like Creeds sound, then try the Fab tone or the Bos DS-2.

Hope this helps.

PS I have just gone from multi-effects units to pedals. I play into a 66 Ampeg Revererocket and an Oliver Bass head into a Mesa Boogie cabinet. Both single channel amps. I split my signal into clean and dirty. I have a light chorus from some clean, one of the mini Dano pedals.

This message has been edited by jef5f@hotmail.com on 01-20-2001 at 11:21 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I guess the post was a bit vague.

My son is 21 and plays a Strat thru a 5150 into a Marshall 1960. Currently using a Zoom 2020. We've talked about changing the effects thing and he is considering it. He is in a band that plays all original music. It's a jam band based aroung catchy hooks and melodies. He's a big time Phish fan.

I have had a gazzillion guitar players in my studio with a gazillion different pedal thangs and just didn't take enough notes...will do so from now on. I do always notate the ax and amp though.

He is after overdrive/distortion pedal. I have a 30 year old vox wah and a new crybaby and am familar with several others. I an a keyboard player and have used wahs on my 1970 Minimoog forever. As far as pedals go, I have a Blue Tube, Proco Rat and a Rocktron Austin Gold. He doesn't care for any of those. So, I posted the question.

Thanks again for the reply.

sp

This message has been edited by skp@cvns.net on 01-21-2001 at 02:28 AM

For overdrive a real versatile pedal is the SansAmp

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/home/010121075426004041181232644543?pid=480208

For less money and just good distortion, Boss has a simple pedal for less than $60 that sounds fine.

Delay

I agree with the Danalectro delay pedal, it's quiet and sounds great.

I haven't used compression in my set-up...isn't that for recording or pop groups only?

Thanks for all the replys. I have a Sanamp PSA 1 in my rack, gonna try out the stomp on it version. We are going hunting for some of those pedals this weekend. Gonna take a list of shit with me to try out.

Damn, i wish I would have taken notes about the stomp boxes used during sesions over the last 6 years. Thanks again http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

um, doesnt the 5150 have distortion in it? get a footswitch for that puppy. i could be wrong.

have him try out the moogerfooger 12stage phasor. its got drive on it and the best sounding phasor on the market. you can use expression pedals to control EVERYTHING.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Yeh, the 5150 has distortion, and he has the pedal...just wants something different than the amp coughs up. Not looking for a phaser or flanger, just overdrive/distortion, compression and maybe a delay.

I wonder what a Eddie used for pedals, if any, when he was dinking around with the 5150?

Guess it wouldn't matter much because my son is going after a different sound anyway.

This might be too whacked out, but here's an idea. Get the POD PRO with the foot controller. Plug the guitar into the Pod. Run a line out of the Pods "Unprocessed Guitar Out" into the 5150.Connect the Pods "Left Mono Output " and the 5150's "Preamp Out" into an A/B switch,and connect that to the 5150's "poweramp in. "Now you can A/B Between the 5150's preamp and the Pod Pro's 32 amp models (like having 32 different distortions). The footcontroller has a wah pedal(modeled afer the old Vox I think)and a volume pedal. also with the Sound Diver software and a PC or Mac, you can tweek the onboard Compression,Delay,Tremolo,Rotary Speaker,Flanger,Chorus and reverb at least as well as you can with stomp boxes. Plus you can save 36 of these tweeked sounds for instant recall with the Foot Controller. I hope this helps. God I love this Shit!!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

This message has been edited by Khan Noonian Singh on 01-29-2001 at 07:04 PM

I agree with the POD and foot controller situation. You can dial those up for days. Also, you may want to check out the Marshall pedals. If you need a standard distortion, the Guv'nor sounds great. I haven't tried the compressor (called the Edward, strangely enough) but any of your basic compressors are probably going to be adequate.

Bill Murphy

www.murphonics.com

Keep it pure analog.Get a Sansamp for the dirt,an Electroharmonix Deluxe Memory Man for delay,the fab Budda Wah,and the Carl Martin Compressor.I would also recommend the rather excellent VodooLab Tremolo,the famous Boss Octave and Jim Dunlop's Univibe.If you wanna go digital,get (the Sansamp,plus) Line 6's Modulation and Delay Modeller.These two are pretty warm sounding and don't overload that easily 'cause they have 24-bit A/D converters.

Originally posted by alphajerk:

then i would get a new head then. get an old bassman, they have some great distortion. i bet hes wanting the brown sound.

Yeh Alpha, you are right, he is after the "brown sound" but a bit more at times. He is really after the Trey sound from Phish. Anybody know his rig?

I do have a '65 bassman w/ the original 2 x 12" blueback jensen cab as well as a '66 Bandmaster w/ a 4 x 10" cab in the studio. He (I) can get the sounds for him for certain tones but I ain't letting him have either one http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

We were gonna go hunting this past weekend but had to record some overdubs on sat and then watch the superbowl on sun http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Really appreciate all the advise and comments. Thanks, sp

There are some good suggestions in this thread that cover most stompbox products that provide effects.

In addition to these you also have the need for power, storage, tuning, and noise reduction.

- Power. Some people swear by the "sound" of battery powered effects and batteries eliminate the need for wall warts on-stage, but long term they chew up cash like mad... so I'd suggest looking at the power supply systems when you're looking at effects. Many of the vendors have systems that supply power and many even store your effects in a case. Sometimes it might make sense to get all your effects from a single vendor to get your setup to fit a case or specific power supplies.

- Storage. Many people don't have any problem connecting their effects with cables and leaving them loose on the floor. But, the more likely an uncaring music listener can hurt or be hurt by stepping on them... the more likely you need some sort of case or board. Again, there are several companies making this sort of product, including custom and pre-designed things. Why not include looking at these when you check out your effects.

- Tuning. Most multi-effect units have a built in tuner. Don't forget to get one for your stompbox rig. Boss seems to be the king of this with their flagship product at around $100. But there are plenty of lower priced, nice ones as well at $30 to 50.

- Noise reduction. Another included item in many multi-effects. Some players hate them and won't use them in their chain. Others won't play without them. It makes sense to see how noisy the other effects are before deciding to add one. The main feature I care about is controlling the level when the noise reduction kicks in, to adjust to the volume of my setup. I like Boss's pedal for this, but don't use one in my live rig now.

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Good luck with your plans and hope these ideas help when you pick out your new toys.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

ask and ye shall receive

i was going to post trey's setup here but phish heads are some phucked up people, its about every detail you could imagine from his custom built guitar to how hollow it is to the pickups, strings, PICKS!?, to effects run to amp and other stuff imbetween.

they even have a diagram of one of his setups

This message has been edited by alphajerk on 02-02-2001 at 02:29 AM

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Archived