Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Danelectro neck adjustment?

sixslinger_dup1

I got one of the new Danelectro 56u2's for

christmas a year ago, and it now needs a truss rod adjust. I have the neccessary knowledge to do the adjustment myself, my question is: Does anyone know where the truss rod adjustment nut is on this guitar, or does it have one at all? there is no cover plate on the headstock. I have not yet removed the neck because i don't want to trash a good set of strings (my budget is tight). does anyone know if there might be an adjustment at the heel end of the neck like on old Fenders? I thank you all for any help you can give.

------------------

sixslinger

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to tell you this, but you have to remove the neck...it's very low on the butt end. However, you shouldn't have to trash the strings, just be careful. Make your adjustment a 1/4 turn at a time.

If it has the typical Dano tp, you can just wrap masking tape aroung the neck to help keep your string from getting tangled up...

Have fun!!

Dave. www.electrocoustic.com

• 7 years later...

I have a Dano 12 string that I get to sound just like a Rickenbacker (thank you, Janglebox compressor), and I like the neck better than a Rick, but the action is brutal. Don't know if I need a truss adjustment or to just shim the neck at an angle. Guess I need to take the neck off, either way.

what are the odds that there would be a topic here related, though old as hell.

Thanks for the truss info...

Check the relief this way:

Tune the guitar the way you normally play it.

Put a capo on at the 1st-fret. Hold the guitar in playing-position, sitting with a strap is fine. With a picking-hand finger, fret the 1st string at the fret which is closest to being directly over the point at which the body and neck meet, over the edge if the heel-block/neck-pocket of the body.

While the 1st-string is so anchored at the 1st and body frets, use a fretting-hand finger to press the 1st-string down at the 7th or 8th fret, and observe closely how much room there is between the top of that fret and the bottom of the string.

Repeat for the 6th-string and compare.

You're using the string as a straight-edge to check how much bow, or relief, there is in the neck under string-tension.

If there is too much relief, tighten the truss-rod by small increments (1/8th or 1/4 turns); too little, loosen it. If the relief is OK but your action is still not right, then you need to address the action at the bridge or by the neck's pitch, or angle.

The amount of relief necessary is somewhat subjective. generally it is good to have some, to allow the strings a little breathing-room as they vibrate. But this is dependent on your technique and string gauges and the sound you want. Some folks like an arrow-straight neck with no relief, others a little, and still others will dial-in a lot. The less you can get away with and still like the sound and feel of the guitar, the better, as too much can hamper the feel with a mushy yet stiff action, and allow the neck to act sort of like an acoustic bow that loses some vibrational energy and sucks the life out of the notes.

You can use feeler-gauges from an automotive supply store, etc., to get pretty specific references of the relief, just slide the gauges under the string there over the fret, one at a time, until you find the one that is closest. You'll probably wind up wanting it somewhere between .006" and .010", but again, this is subjective- you might want more, or less.

When you remove the neck to adjust the truss-rod, to hold the strings out of the way without removing them, you can use that masking-tape trick that Dave suggested above, and also put a capo on at the 1st-fret.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

No problem!

Hopefully- most likely- your problem can be fixed with a few turns of a tool...

That 'Jangle Box' compressor sounds intriguing! That, and the Black Box (Blackbox?) Oxygen compressor, are a couple of pedals on my get-around-to-checkin'-'em-out list, which grows longer and longer... :D

Let us know how that works out for you, the relief and action on your Danelectro; keep us posted!

There's a great book on guitar set-up (and more) called How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great!, by Dan Erlewine, that I highly recommend to anyone and everyone with a guitar, even if it's an acoustic.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived