Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2 New Keaggy Abums

Did you all know that Phil Keaggy has 2 new albums out. Inseparable and Lights of Madrid. Lights of Madrid is instrumental with Spanish and Latin classical guitar flavorings, and I'm not sure about Inseparable. You can't lose with Keaggy. At worst he is inspirational. Everytime I see him in concert I leave thinking I had seen the hand of God plucking the strings of the guitar. I've never been blown away my anyone like I have with Keaggy. Guitar class all the way. I'm getting them as soon as I can get to Columbia, Missouri, the closest christian book store I have.

This message has been edited by jef5f@hotmail.com on 01-10-2001 at 09:38 AM

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, Jeff, you're only half a state away. I'm in Kansas City. I'll have to check out the new Keaggy albums. The thing that strikes me about him is how easily he falls in to any style. Rock, fusion, funk, acoustic...anything. Phenomenal talent. Saw him live years ago.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I don't know about 2000, but I do remember in an interview not too many years ago (Guitar Player or Acoustic Guitar, not sure at the moment), he said he makes a comfortable living playing and recording. It is surprising however, that someone as acclamed as Keaggy doesn't grow rich like goofy groups and singers like "InSink" (I keep telling my 14 year old daughter that I'm going to form a boy band and call it "Down Toilet") and Ricky Martin where musicianship is lacking. Let's all go out right now and buy 2 or 3 of each of his albums and give them to our firends.

I don't believe in the claims that there is a best or greatest guitarist, but everyone has a player or a number of players that have touched them with their playing and ability. For me, Keaggy is the tops. It is not just that he is an outstanding Christian,and an outstanding player, everything he plays, whichever style, has the mark of his soul in it. I don't know of any player that lets his heart, feelings and soul come out in his playing like Keaggy, even Carlos, my second favorite guitarist. His ability to do that obviously comes from his relationship to Jesus Christ, So there is joy in his playing, even songs of grief or distress. His relationship to Jesus is found in every note and pause, in every word and breath. I remember a late 80s GP interview where he only saw himself as an ok guitar player, when in my estimation, and others as well, he was light years ahead of nearly everybody. Tedster commented on Keaggy's ability to play just about every style of music very well. Besides the fact that his albums are usually found in Christian music and book stores (limited distribution for sure), the fact is that it is hard to label the style of music he plays (rock? folk? celtic? blues? ? ? ? ?) and people want to put labels on people, consciously or unconsciously, therefore, his album sales suffer.

He has played a lot of instruments over the years. He is known for early 70s Les Paul Deluxe with the mini-humbuckers replaced with full-size humbuckers. He sold the guitar a few years ago, it was displayed in the Hard Rock Cafe for a time, and he recently got the guitar back. He claimed it was like seeing an old friend again. He played Music Man 2x12 combo amps then. In the 80s along with the LP He played a Yamaha SA2000 for a while. He praised it's versatility. He used Yamaha 100 watt 2x12 tube amps in the 80s. He had a custom made Strat-like guitar made in the 80s by a California luthier name Fernadez (no relation to the guitar company of the same name) with a H-S-H pickup configuration. Then he came across Zion guitars. In fact Zion has a Phil Keaggy model (check it out on their web-site www.zionguitars.com. But currently he plays a Parker Fly and a Gibson Custom Shop ES336 into a Vox AC30. For acoustic he uses a Langejans and an Olsen with an L.R. Baggs pickup system. I believe he uses the Olsen almost exclusively in concert. The Langejans is mostly used to record with.

If you haven't figured out, I am a big Keaggy fan. Tedster, he used to live in KC a few years ago.

I'll find the Keaggy websites and get back to you all a little later. jef5f, the 5 is silent.

www.philkeaggy.com http://www.museweb.com/keaggy/ www.pkfans.com/motc/index.html

Some of the albums Keaggy has can only be had on his fan club website (for instance, "On the Fly"), FYI.

check out my sorry little website. www.321website.com/members/home/data/jef5f/

This message has been edited by jef5f@hotmail.com on 01-19-2001 at 10:21 AM

My Phil Keaggy story... around 1970 or so, one of the neighbors mentioned that she had a cousin who played in a band called Glass Harp. Yup Phil (his family calls him Pete) Keaggy. She gave me that album on vinyl. Honestly, I didn't think much of it. I was much more into Iron Butterfly, Steppenwolf, etc. I couldn't get past Phil's reedy somewhat whiny vocals (think a very thin sounding Joe Walsh). Still can't.

I've seen him live a few times and enjoyed each concert immensely. However, on record, his somewhat limp banal Christian PC lyrics just put me to sleep. I forget which song it was but it went something like this (to a bubblegum groove) "Little girl, little boy somebody loves you, somebody loves you..." Yeah Phil, whatever. He pretty much lost me after that.

For the record I am a Christian. Sadly, I find very little "Christian Music" worthwhile or challenging. It's sort of the "sitcoms" of recorded music, all but guaranteed to offend no one, except people who still use their brains. It would be great to hear what someone like Phil could do if he took the wraps off his talent.

Just my .02 - your mileage may vary.

Since my last post this morning, I talked with Ken Hoover, the founder of Zion guitars. I mentioned that someone had heard that Keaggy only made $3000 off of album sales last year. He said, that was highly unlikely. He did mention that Keaggy has another album out called Zion which Keaggy dedicated to him. Go to the www.philkeaggy.com website, click on new releases and go down to where Zion is advertised and you can hear a soundclip of a couple of songs. I also received my Guitar Player in the mail today and lo and behold, on page 64 of the pickups section, they are reporting on Keaggy and mention the album and the dedication. Have a good one, y'all. jef5f

This message has been edited by jef5f@hotmail.com on 01-19-2001 at 10:43 PM

>>I couldn't get past Phil's reedy somewhat whiny vocals (think a very thin sounding Joe Walsh). Still can't.

Kinda funny about that. Speaking of phenomenal guitar players...saw the G3 video. Eric Johnson singing "Redhouse"...and Satch singing "Going Down"...as singers, these guys are phenomenal guitar players... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif I think Keaggy's vocals surpass what those guys do. But, that's why there are folks who just vocalize.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

It is a sad state of affairs indeed when awesome musicians,like keaggy,holdsworth,etc. have a hard time making it and others like Christina acrobat,Eminem,puff daddy,etc. the list goes on and on,make a killing and don't even know how to play a freakin' instrument.

There's music,and then there's other crap that goes on cd's.I prefer music.

Eminem,check this out-this guy claims to be such a badass,then he pulls an unloaded gun on someone.

Will the real slim shady please take a firearms class???

reminds me of the punchline to an old joke--Thats about like a !@#$%^ to bring a knife to a gunfight.

.......................Bluedawg

Archived